Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Clean issue

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I do not know if this is an integration issue with MS VS or something about MS VS itself.

Lately I've been getting build failures during debug sessions:

Clean started...
1>------ Clean started: Project: SORTtest (IFX), Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'SORTtest', configuration 'Debug|x64'.
2>------ Clean started: Project: RadixSort (IFORT), Configuration: Debug x64 ------
2>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'RadixSort', configuration 'Debug|x64'.
3>Error: The operation could not be completed
4>------ Clean started: Project: Collate (IFORT), Configuration: Debug x64 ------
4>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'Collate', configuration 'Debug|x64'.
========== Clean: 3 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

The work around is to exit MS VS then to restart it. Which is annoying.

Due to the error occurring in cleaning a static library of a solution (3 libraries, one executable) my suspicion is that the .pdb for the library is still open.

I am using the IFX configuration and I am not sure if the debugger is yours or MS's.

Using:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019
Version 16.8.3

Intel® Fortran Compiler Package ID: w_oneAPI_2022.0.0.161
Intel® Fortran Compiler – toolkit version: 2022.1.0, extension version 22.0.0065.16, Package ID: w_oneAPI_2022.0.0.161, Copyright © 2002-2021 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

In the past, this was a Visual Studio error, where the debugger kept a handle open to the executable after debugging stopped. MS had fixed that in VS2019, at least, though it might have returned. Another possibility is that your antivirus software has the newly created EXE open to check it at the time the Manifest Tool wants to rewrite it. You may be able to distinguish between these by looking at the full build log for the failed project and see if it was the link or mt command that failed. As far as I know, Intel has no control over this part of the build.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The issue involves a clean of a static library. The only possible thing open would be the .pdb file (by VS Debugger). AV is not likely (not an .EXE or .DLL).

>>Intel has no control over this part of the build

The Intel VS integration includes IDE tool tips. e.g. lookup module names for auto-complete/suggestions pull-down. 

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos