Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28640 Discussions

Come see me at Intel Developer Forum!

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Hi, everyone... I will be attending Intel Developer Forum in San Jose, September 16-18, presenting a session on "What's New in Intel Fortran for Windows and Linux" Tuesday at 5:30PM. I've never been to an IDF before, though I am a veteran of the DECUS symposia for DEC users. IDF has a broad mix of hardware and software sessions, and some of you may find it useful to attend. It isn't cheap, though... Get details at http://www.intel.com/idf/us/fall2003/

If you're not going to attend but are in the San Jose area, perhaps we can arrange to get together for a beer or coffee or whatever.. Monday the 15th will be the day I'm most available. Send me e-mail if you're interested.

Steve
0 Kudos
13 Replies
durisinm
Novice
Steve,

I won't be attending the IDF. Can you post your presentation here after it's finalized?

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'll be glad to if I find out it's ok.

Steve
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The slides from my presentation are now available here (PDF).

I think everything I said in the slides is still true. Product announcement and availability is due in the first half of December.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Very useful - Thanks Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
Steve,

I have some questions after looking through your presentation.

Page 6 states that one of the new features of IVF will be the Intel debugger. Is this debugger separate and distinct from the Microsoft Visual Studio debugger? Will it be available instead of or in addition to the VS debugger? What are the differences between the Intel and VS debugger?

Page 7 makes note of automatic CPU dispatch for best performance on different processor generations. Does this mean that a compiled application that is executed will automatically know which kind of Intel CPU it is running on and use different processor directives for best performance on the fly? What about Intel-compatible processors such as those from Athlon?

Page 17 makes note of a new command line switch for run-time checking (-check). What would this option check for? The same page also mentions non-native I/O conversion (-convert). Would this, for example, convert data from little endian to big endian? How will IVF know what the original I/O format is?

Page 19 says that the default IVF calling mechanism will be C, By Reference. You once mentioned that a compiler switch would be available to revert to the current CVF default mechanism. Is that still in the plans? The same page also mentions that "ifort" will be the new verb to invoke IVF. Will it be possible to define an environment variable, df, which has ifort as its value to continue to use applications which have "df" hard-coded in them until the applications can be modified?

Page 20 lists the CVF features that won't be in the first IVF release. Does Intel plan to provide all those features in a future release? Has the profiler been permanently dropped in favor of VTune? Didn't you also mention in another forum message that the format creation tool won't be in IVF?

Will it be possible for an IVF application to call an executable or DLL built with CVF? Would that require that both CVF and IVF be installed on the same computer? Will those two products coexist together?

Mike D.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
p6 - idb is independent of Visual Studio. It is derived from the DECladebug debugger that DEC/Compaq offers on Tru64 UNIX and Linux. In use, it is similar to other Unix debuggers such as dbx and gdb. Normally it is used from the command line but there is a new (and somewhat flaky, as noted in the release notes) GUI. You can read the current idb (Linux) documentation here.

p7 - Yes, that's exactly what it means. Intel compilers have this feature today. You can select up to three code paths (two processor-specific and one generic) and the executable detects the CPU and selects the appropriate path at run-time. So you could create an exe that uses Pentium 4 optimizations on P4 but runs generic Pentium code on other processors. Non-Intel processors are deemed "generic". You can also specify the more traditional "require Intel Pentium 4" type option - these are documented as for use with Intel processors only.

p17 - This is similar to the CVF /check option and includes the CVF options bounds, format, output_conversion and arg_temp_created. The data conversion feature is directly from CVF - you tell the compiler what type of conversion you want. On reading, it will convert data to the native format and on writing, to the non-native format. See the "Converting Unformatted Numeric Data" chapter of the CVF PG.

p19 - Yes, that is still the case. A new /iface:cvf is available, and will be added by default for CVF projects converted to the new format. df (and f90) are provided as aliases - but not f77 or fl32.

p20 - Microsoft dropped the profiler in VS.NET, and switched to a third-party tool which they do not relicense to their Visual Studio "partners". We would recommend using VTune. Yes, the format editor is dropped and I doubt it will return - hardly anyone used it, as far as we know. Some of the features may reappear, but I can't make any promises. Personally, I've been pushing to get COM Server Wizard reestablished.

CVF and Intel Visual Fortran coexist just fine - I have them both installed on my PC. No problem mixing DLLs - all you need is to have the CVF redistributables installed. You can't mix objects and static libraries, though.

Steve
0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice
Dear Dr. steve.lionel,
Please see my posted topic:
Question: Can fortran subroutine accept any type of data, but the type is unkown?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
Steve,

Your last answer reminded me that a lot of CVF material, like the program to install the CVF run-time libraries and the 6.6B and other updates, still lives on HP's www.compaq.com/fortran Web site. I'm guessing that users' conversion from CVF to IVF will be gradual. Some will switch immediately; others will switch as budgets and time allow; others may never switch. Will the CVF stuff be moved over to Intel's Web site at some time? Does Intel have the right to host that material?

Mike D.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Mike,

I would expect that the CVF support material on the HP web site would move to Intel's site as appropriate. In the near term, the material will stay on HP's site.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
Steve,

I think I remember you stating at one time that CVF's graphing library would make it into IVF. Is that still the plan? Will the SPORT routines be in IVF?

Mike D.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Which graphing library? QuickWin is included. In the initial 8.0 release, we don't have the samples provided, but we hope to make them available for download sometime afterwards (and included in the kit in future versions).

SPORT.. hmm.. Not there in the initial release. I know there was some discussion of providing this on an unsupported basis, I'll have to check.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
I think I'm talking about the scientific graphing library, not QuickWin.

Your presentation also stated that the CXML library won't be included in IVF and to use the Intel libraries instead. Will the IMKL come with IVF, or will it be something that users will have to buy?

Mike D.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
SciGraph is provided as part of the CVF samples. The samples aren't in the 8.0 kit initially, but you should be able to take the SciGraph code from CVF and build it in the Intel compiler.

MKL must be purchased separately.

Steve
0 Kudos