Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28655 Discussions

Compaq Visual fortran vers 6.5 problems

Customer__Intel10
I have been using Compaq Visual Fortran Vers 6.5 on my HP laptop Windows XP machine for several years. About 10 days ago, I ran "PowerSuite" cleanup software. After that I began getting hit F11 for emergency recovery whenever I started up the laptop. Last week a program from the HP laptop popped up and told me to run emergency recovery software that was installed on the machine. I selected the option to return the system to original state when it came out of the factory and make a backup folder of files on the hard drive.

I then copied many of the common and windows folders/files that were on my backup folder but not on the original set of folders. I have no idea if I managed to copy all the right files and folders.

I then reinstalled various software packages that I have been using including CVF Vers 6.5

2 days ago when I was using the laptop Windows announced that it had updates for Windows XP. Yesterday morning the updates were installed when I turned on the laptop.

I used the CVF software to work on a fortran project without any apparent problems. The problems started when I attempted to create a new project. A message popped up telling me that CSAddin.dll file was not installed and registered. I followed instructions to browse to this file and load the file. A message then popped up that this file was already registered ....I was confused since there were no instructions to cover this contingency

I created a new project workspace and then attempted to add files to the project from a folder with *.for subroutines.

An error screen popped up, Windows told me it was very sorry but the program crashed and burned. The failure was related to the Microsoft Developer Studio DFDEV.exe file; AppVer 6.0.8168.2; ModName devshl.dll; ModVer 6.0.8472.0; Offset 0002c3b9

I found a forum under Steve Lionel Dr Fortran Intel blog where someone reported the same problem in May 2004. Steve suggested uninstall CVF, deleting registry keys for DevStudio etc. I followed his instructions and obtained the same results as the person asking for help in 2004. (definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results !)

I am extremely frustrated and despondent at this most recent turn of events with CVF Vers 6.5. I have had problems using CVF on my Windows Vista machine and have given up trying to make it work with Vista so I have been doing all my development work with my laptop and Windows XP.

It seems like the numerous Windows XP updates may have altered some setting that caused the problem ???

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks from Andy Stoddard

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
First of all, I generally recommend against "system cleaner" utilities - in my experience they do more harm than good.

DFDEV.exe is just a wrapper around msdev.exe, the VS98 environment. Clearly something is interfering with the VS system.

I don't suppose I can convince you to move to Intel Visual Fortran?

The only thing I can suggest right now is to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, which may do a more thorough job of uninstalling. You can get it from here. (This is a Microsoft tool that MS pulled from their web site, but it is still very useful.) Then reinstall CVF.
0 Kudos