Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28386 Discussions

Compatibility of latest Parallel Studio Pro with old Visual Studio Shell

Gabriel_Toro
Beginner

My computer currently has Parallel Studio 2019 Update 4 and, for some unknown reason, it still uses an old 2013 Visual Studio Shell. I am getting ready to update to Parallel Studio 2020 Update 4, but I am concerned about possible conflicts with this old Visual Studio.

Question: will this new Parallet Studio work with the 2013 VS?

If not, what are my options? 

Thanks,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

See the release notes for software prerequisites; according to what is stated there, you will need VS2017 or VS2019, unless you are willing to get by with developing only from the command line environment.

It is not clear what you meant by "still uses ...". How do you use Parallel Studio, and what did you do and observe before reaching that conclusion?

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Toro
Beginner

Thanks for your response.

To clarify, "still uses" means that my Fortran compiler/debugger/etc are integrated with VS2013. I am not sure why the more recent versions of VS were not installed as I updated.

The next question is how do I install VS2017 or VS2019.

BTW, when I do Help|About gives me the following:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell (Integrated)
Version 12.0.21005.1 REL
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.03761

Installed Version: IDE Standard

Intel® Advisor 2019 Update 4
Intel® Advisor 2019 Update 4, (build 597843), Copyright © 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel® Inspector 2019 Update 4
Intel® Inspector 2019 Update 4, (build 597842), Copyright © 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Package ID: w_comp_lib_2019.4.245
Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013, Version 19.0.0052.12, Copyright © 2002-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Intel® VTune™ Amplifier 2019 Update 4 597835
Intel® VTune™ Amplifier 2019 Update 4, (build 597835), Copyright © 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

There are three versions of Visual Studio that can work with the latest Intel Fortran - ie 2019 or 2020. 

2017 is very stable, it updates about once every two months, but it lacks some of the features of the 2019 VS or the VS preview 2019. You need to download the VS 2017 community and make sure you install the C++ components and I would take the data analysis and the one next to it.  After that reinstall Intel Fortran and it will integrate.   If you want to give your program to another computer then compiling from the command line using IFORT is easier, but to get to that stage VS is better.  Do not forget to set the psxevars bat file. I would get the VS 2017 Color Theme Editor as an extension as the base colours are hard on the eyes.  

2019 is pretty stable, it updates about once per month and just follow the 2017 rules.  it has a few more bells and things.  I would get the VS 2019 Color Theme Editor as an extension as the base colours are hard on the eyes.  

2019 VS Preview - if you are comfortable skiing on Black Diamond Run equivalents with your computer and do not mind wasting some time, it is may be worth a shot.  

VS 2017 is the most stable and never stops,  VS 2019 is not to bad, but sometimes you need to uninstall and reinstall Intel Fortran,  VS 2019 Preview is for idiots like me who like playing with their computer, - if your hard drive is only 0.5 TB - 2017 - if 1 TB I would do 2017 and 2019 -- 2017 for the backup when 2019 has a problem with an update.   I would not got to 2020 Update 4, it has some problems with 2019 and 2019 preview but not 2017.  I know this because I am fixing my computer at the moment after updating and it did not integrate Fortran. 

As an aside and me pontificating because I am waiting for a Fortran update to reinstall so I have some time.  We are now in a world of continuous development models, the cycle time is now measured in months and  if you want to keep updating Intel Fortran then they support the last two versions of VS.  This is reasonable, VS 2013 is really old.  It is interesting to watch the development of Windows.  Windows stretches across several versions, it is updated in a major way in May and Oct, so knowing your version helps to know how close to the bleeding edge you are.  Of course the oldest Titan will tell you to stay off the bleeding edge and just Fortran ON.  But the current bleeding edge is Preview 20246.  You will probably be on 19041 according to my standard Intel NUC deployed on a bridge in Iowa. This version was released to preview about 14 months ago, it is stable, the next step caused some problems with my NVIDIA display drivers, which were a beast for about a fortnight.    

Microsoft has gotten very good with monitoring the Previews, so if you like seeing the new features and do not mind the odd time they put out a lemon, but then it updates quickly - usually a few days.  This has happened twice in the last year.  As long as you have backups, it is not a hassle.  

So good luck.  This is without doubt the best Fortran Forum, but I am biased, I like these guys and they put up with me.  (Guys here is using the modern American Gender Neutral meaning and not the old Australian non-gender specific version.  -- I checked this with experts, guys is no longer gender specific. Please do not ask me I cannot see into the mind of young Americans -- even though I own one. ) 

My soft suggestion is you download winaerotweaker, (a great program written by a really good programmer) and turn on the Windows Version on your desktop.  I like it because it lets me turn off the little arrows on the Windows desktop icons.   There are of course split opinions on this, but it is a personal choice.  (The oldest Titan will probably disagree and I understand his opinion, I just disagree.)  if you are on 19041 stay away from Preview VS. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Another note, if you are working on a computer that is maintained by a central IT group, then you are aware of the special 12 layers of Hell that these people create, that makes Dante's Hell look like a modern kindergarten playground.  You will have the absolute nightmare of asking them to install VS and Intel Fortran.  If this is your world, God bless you because no one else can. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

If you install the VS 2019 or Preview, and then Intel Fortran, when you load a solution, you may get an error on the project, you click on the solution and reload it - I know this as I just had to do it.  Then it will work. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

humor -- please forgive me but:

Your received a reply from mecej4.  He responds with some limited frequency, but you should be aware that his is the voice of God.  Of course his terseness is the stuff of legends, but his ability is matched by only a few on this forum and I am not one of them.  I was absolutely impressed that he commented on your minor problem. 

LOL -  God forgive my humour. 

0 Kudos