Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

Compilation error ; breakpoint 0*7c90120e

charlotte_M_
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I've received a program that seems to work correctly on  windows 7 (code block+fortran)

I've ran it on windows xp (vitrual machine),  i've got these errors.

1)  forrt1: severe 29: file not found, unit 50

I've made some changes in the  OPEN instruction, then  I've got that  new error message

2)forrt1: severe 24: end -of-file during read, unit 50

I've tried to use  debugger and now the error message i get is " user  break point from code at 0*7c90120e"

I've n idea how to fix it;  can anyone help me.

I've installed a virtual windows xp machine  on my windows 7. And i work with developer studio. My code was written  in f90.

Thank u 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok - that means at line 418 of BUG.F90 you have a READ statement that tried to read past the end of the file DATA_HE.DAT. You'll have to figure out why that is - either the data file is missing some values or, earlier in the program, more data was read than was intended.

Another possibility, if this is the first READ in the program, is that the data file you wanted to read is actually somewhere else other than in "programme". It looks as if this is the project folder (the folder where the .vfproj file lives), and that's the default location when a file is opened. If there was no file there before, what will happen is that a new, empty file gets created and then the READ will fail.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

First, that is not a compilation error, it is a run-time error. When you get the "user breakpoint" message the real error is in the console window which may be obscured by the debugger window. Check the task bar to find the application's console window.

0 Kudos
charlotte_M_
Beginner

Thank you Steve for your answer. You're right it's a run-time  error. I've stopped debugger. I still not understand.

What should i do with   the application's console window.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

What message is in the console window? It could be something like an out-of-bounds array reference, or uninitialized variable reference, or an I/O error. Don't stop the program or else the window will go away. Just click on the task bar icon for the program's output window and look.

0 Kudos
charlotte_M_
Beginner

That's what i get as error 

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 50, file C:\Documents and Set

tings\XPMUser\My Documents\Simulations\BUG\programme\DATA_HE.DAT
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
programme.exe      0041A279  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      0041A073  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      00419204  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      0041947E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      004151BE  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      0040581E  READINPUT                 418  BUG.F90
programme.exe      0040126E  BUG_HE                     42  BUG.F90
programme.exe      004441F9  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      00437624  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
kernel32.dll       7C816037  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Press any key to continue

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok - that means at line 418 of BUG.F90 you have a READ statement that tried to read past the end of the file DATA_HE.DAT. You'll have to figure out why that is - either the data file is missing some values or, earlier in the program, more data was read than was intended.

Another possibility, if this is the first READ in the program, is that the data file you wanted to read is actually somewhere else other than in "programme". It looks as if this is the project folder (the folder where the .vfproj file lives), and that's the default location when a file is opened. If there was no file there before, what will happen is that a new, empty file gets created and then the READ will fail.

0 Kudos
charlotte_M_
Beginner

Thank you for the suggestions, i'll verify it and let you know.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

"I've made some changes in the  OPEN instruction, then  I've got that  new error message". Well, changing an OPEN statement in an inappropriate way can certainly cause a previously working program to malfunction. You should provide us more details or, better, the source and data files so that we can see what causes the run time error.

To avoid the problem that Steve Lionel described (viz., opening a file for input when the file is not present in the current directory and causing a new zero-length file to be created) can be avoided by using the STATUS='OLD' clause in the OPEN statement. This clause will cause a run time abort to occur earlier (when the OPEN statement is run and fails) and enable to fix the problem at a more opportune time.

0 Kudos
charlotte_M_
Beginner

I already  use the OLD option in the OPEN  instruction. About providing the data  file, i should discuss first with my boss.

I've got the code as it , it seems its worked . The first time i run it on my computer; i've got the error message.

I'm trying to see where the problem is.

Thank you so much for your help

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It won't do any good to show us the data file if we can't also see the program. The basic problem is that the program is either reading the wrong file or is reading too much data.

0 Kudos
charlotte_M_
Beginner

Steve; the second possibility  seems to bring out where the problem was .

i've moved all the files in 'programme'.

But now i get this message.

FINISHEDREADING                                                           DA
TA_HE.DAT
forrtl: severe (161): Program Exception - array bounds exceeded
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
programme.exe      00408FD5  READINPUT                 603  BUG.F90
programme.exe      0040126E  BUG_HE                     42  BUG.F90
programme.exe      00444219  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
programme.exe      00437644  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
kernel32.dll       7C816037  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Press any key to continue

Thank you so much

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, now you have a programming error you need to solve, where an array reference is out of bounds. You should run the program under the debugger and when it stops at the error, look at array references and the values of the array indexes. We're sort of blind here in giving you more specific advice.

0 Kudos
charlotte_M_
Beginner

Hi 

All my problem are solve, for the second one i use the solution propose here 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/272902

Thank you so much for your help

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Not checking bounds might solve the problem in some cases but also will hide real bugs in the code. It is a bit like taking the oil warning light out of the car rather than checking the oil level....

0 Kudos