Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Compiled under WinXP - will not run on other Win platforms

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
CVF 6.6A

I have a program that I need to distribute to half a dozen other users. My main PC has WinXP, the other users have a variety of Win98, WinNT & Win2000.

Unfortunately I find that "Release" version exe's of my program compiled on my main (XP) machine will not run on the Win 98 or 2000 PC's (or on my old Win98 PC). Comes up with a "performed illegal operation error message".

As a result I am having to fire up my old PC and compile under Win98 (then all works fine - identical source code, etc). Admittedly the old PC still has CVF 6.5 on it, but I presume that that is not the reason for the difference?

Attempts to debug the problem fail, because the "Debug" version compiled under WinXP runs happily on my Win98 PC - hence no error message.

Is there someway of getting a "Release version" compiled under XP that will run under Win98 / 2000?

The options I am using under "Fortran Settings" are:

/architecture:pn1 /compile_only /math_library:fast /nologo /warn:nofileopt /module:"Release/" /object:"Release/"

David
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can't think of any reason XP should be the issue. Are you by any chance using /fast? What processor does your XP system use? My guess is that you are using /fast and the processor is one that supports instructions the other PCs don't - /fast implied /arch:host.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve

Thanks for your reply.

Not using /fast (as far as I am aware). As per my original post, I am using :

/math_library:fast &
/architecture:pn1

My main PC is Athlon. All other users PC's (& my old one) are Pentium (3 or 4).

/architecture:pn1 is supposed to be for Pentium PC's

I presume that the /math_library:fast is not a problem - fairly certain I previously used that on my P3/W98 PC.

Note also that the "Debug" version runs happily on my P3?W98 machine (& I have /math_library:fast set for the Debug compile).

FWIW full settings being used for Debug are:

/check:bounds /compile_only /dbglibs /debug:full /math_library:fast /nologo /traceback /warn:argument_checking /warn:nofileopt /module:"Debug/" /object:"Debug/" /pdbfile:"Debug/DF60.PDB"

David

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
BTW - I understand that one user with a Pentium/NT machine, has been able to run the XP compiled version.

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'm out of ideas. You can write to vf-support for help - be sure to attach a ZIP archive of the project including a sample EXE that fails.

Steve
0 Kudos