Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Compiler Directives in Code:Blocks

rorban
Beginner

In Windows, I have long used iFort's simple compiler directive facility for conditional compilation.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/fortran-compiler-developer-guide-and-reference-compiler-directives

for example

!DIR$ IF(FOO==1)

do something

!DIR$ ELSE

do something else

!DIR$ ENDIF

In Windows Developer Studio the value of FOO can be set globally in the project properties page in

Configuration Properties > Fortran > Preprocessor > Preprocessor Definitions

in the form FOO=1;FIE=0;FUM=1 ... etc.

These definitions are then applied to all files in the project. Note that this does not require the "Preprocess Source File" property to be Yes.

I am now trying to get this to work in Linux where I am running Code:Blocks for Fortran (CBFortran) as the IDE. CBFortran offers a project build options page with many of the compiler options, but no "Preprocessor Definitions" line.  I would appreciate some guidance on how to use Intel's Compiler Directives feature in this context.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rorban
Beginner

Correction: !$DIR (as originally posted) should be !DIR$ is the example. I corrected it.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

From the compiler's perspective, this is the same as using fpp and one uses -D to define preprocessor symbols on the command line. Your question is really directed at Code:Blocks, it's not an Intel issue.

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

!DIR$ are vendor specific directives, otherwise are comments

You may need to make your !DIR$ directives safe for Code:Blocks

!DIR$ IF(FOO==1)
  iFrom = from_something
  iTo = to_something
  iStep = step_something
!DIR$ ELSE
  iFrom = from_something_else
  iTo = to_something_else
  iStep = step_something_else
!DIR$ ENDIF
do i=iFrom, iTo, iStep

(you will also need to -DFOO... in  your compiler option)

Your code may still be non-portable, at least to those compilers not supporting !DIR$...

Jim Dempsey

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The question was how to specify defined symbols using the Code:Blocks UI. If Code:Blocks allows additional command line options (I don't use it), you can add:

-DFOO=-1 -DFIE=0

etc.

rorban
Beginner

I found it and verified that it works. It was in Build Options>Compiler Settings># defines.

This tab is initially hidden in the GUI, but appears if you repeatedly click on the right arrow in the row of tabs.

Thanks to everyone who replied.