Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiler install failure

Horsewood__Jerry

I have successfully built a C#/Fortran application using VS 2017 and the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 Composer Edition compiler on a Windows 10 platform. Due to unrelated problems, I switched to Windows 11 and am now in the process of getting the VS and Fortran software to work. I installed VS 2018 and the desktop development with C++ component and then tried to install the 2018 composer compiler. Once started, the Intel flash screen opens for a moment, then is replaced by a message window asking if I approve changes to the system. I approve and the flash screen reappears momentarily and then disappears with no warning or error message. I have found no system logs that might indicate what is causing the failure. Can anyone suggest a cause for this problem or an approach to troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Are some ruminants of VS2017 still installed?

Do any of the environment variables point to those (removed?) versions?

(The Intel PS XE 2018 installation should have detected the above and queried you as to what to do).

>>then tried to install the 2018 composer compiler.

Do you mean just the composer compiler or do you mean entire Parallel Studio XE 2018?

Have you run MS VS2018 (e.g. C++ hello world) prior to attempting to install Intel PS? IOW MS VS might not be fully installed until after first use.

Lastly, try Right-Clicking on the Intel PS XE installer and then selecting to run in Administration mode.

If you are unable to resolve your issue with the above hints, try downloading the oneAPI Base and oneAPI HPC toolkits (install base first, then HPC).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Horsewood__Jerry

Thanks for the reply, Jim. To better understand my situation, here are more details regarding what has led to my problem. On my Windows 10 platform, I had MS Office 2016 installed. Google mail stopped supporting Outlook 2016 and would no longer send and receive emails. In updating to Office 2019, I also updated to a larger C: drive, installed Windows 11, and copied the contents of the older drive to the new drive. I then uninstalled and reinstalled VS 2017 and compiled and ran successfully a VS 2017 c# project that did not involve or use Fortran. The Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 Composer installation was not listed in the program list of Control Panel, so I attempted to install it, which led to the failure I described in my post. Based on your comments, I started exploring what existed on the drive that relates to the earlier installation of Composer.  I found a folder called IntelSWTools in Program Files (x86) that contained several subfolders of compilers and libraries, debuggers, documentation, etc. The environment variables included several entries referencing contents of the IntelSWTools folder, and the registry contains dozens of related entries. I have eliminated the relevant environment variables entries, but this had no effect on the installation problem. I suspect that I will need to, as a minimum, eliminate also all the relevant entries in the Windows registry, but I know there is a lot of risk in doing this. So I am looking for guidance as to what the recommended approach would be as a next step. What do you think?

0 Kudos
Horsewood__Jerry

As suggested by @Ron_Green, the problem is that Parallel Studio XE 2018 is not compatible with Windows 11. On recognizing this, I followed the suggestion of @jimdempseyatthecove to install OneApi Base and OneApi HPC and now have everything working again. Thanks for the help from the two of you.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Do you see Intel Parallel Studio XE in your Add/Remove Programs? If so then first try to Repair. That failing, try a Remove. Then reboot and then try reinstalling Intel Parallel Studio.

Something is tangled up for sure. Maybe you can ask someone from Intel if there is a utility to clean the registry of Intel Parallel Studio entries (independent of the Intel PS installer which may not be present on your system).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Ron_Green
0 Kudos