Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28655 Discussions

Compiling Fortran modules under Eclipse/Photran

ocean
Beginner

I'm experimenting with Intel Fortran Composer XE 2011 integrated with Eclipse 3.7 and Photran 7 on Linux 64-bit. I would like to take advantage of the managed makefile process offered by Photran, but I'm having some issues with compiling Fortran modules.For asimple project, consisting of a main file (containing the main program), and a module file (containing code for module1), it appears that Photran might not be creating the makefile properly when a "use module1" statementis encountered in the main file. Ecipse/Photran displays an error message indicating "could not find a file to match the module name: module1."

Has anyone encountered this issue when compiling Fortran modules under Photran? Is there a workaround without having to edit the makefile manually?

Thanks,
Ocean

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As you're asking about linux, the companion forum about Fortran on linux would be more likely to elicit a response, particularly as we don't see much use of posix makefiles with ifort on Windows. However, it looks more like an issue with whether Photran supports makefile generation for modules, rather than an issue connected with ifort. Do you invoke mkmf or similar open source tool for that purpose? If you wish to continue the discussion, I would suggest restarting on the other forum, or asking one of us to move the discussion.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You might look at the /gen-dep option to the compiler to see if that helps you build a makefile. I have no experience with Photran so can't help further.
0 Kudos
ocean
Beginner
I apologize for my posting in this forum. I appreciate if you could move my thread to the Linux side.

Thanks,
Ocean
0 Kudos
dan0112
Beginner
I just stumbeld across this thread. Answer might be a bit late, but maybe still helpful:

Photran's automatic makefile generator (managed make) is known to be a bit buggy. I also have encountered problems with modules. Usually they can be solved with some try and error, in particular by creating new projects and never switching the build configurations.

Photran has a medium active user mailing list, you might post there.
Better still, you report a bug on bugzilla (see Photrans website to get there), providing a description of how to reproduce the error. They are continuously improving on it, and I know that they want to rework some of the managed make in the next release (Photran 8.0)

Hope that helps

Daniel
0 Kudos