Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26733 Discussions

Complex array writing into/reading from file

Jurkowski__Piotr
Beginner

Dear users,

I'm trying to find out why my code for writing complex arrays into a file and then reading from file into a complex array gives me wrong results. My code is divided into 2 programs: first program calculates values for the array cust_no and writes them into a file.cust_no.dat, the second program reads the data from file into array and processes the data further. 

Piece of code for writing data into file:

allocate(cust_no(n_ions,no))
    open(222, FILE="cust_no.dat", ACTION="WRITE", Status='unknown', FORM="FORMATTED")
    do i=1,n_ions
        do j=1,no
            write(222,*) cust_no(i,j)
        enddo
    enddo
    close(222)

Piece of code for reading data from file:

allocate(cust_no(n_ions,no))
    open(222, FILE="cust_no.dat", ACTION="READ", Status='unknown', FORM="FORMATTED")
    do i=1,n_ions
        do j=1,no
            read(222,*) cust_no(i,j)
        enddo
    enddo
    close(222)

Surprisingly, this code works perfectly fine for small number of values in the array, however for large array cust_no values written into the file differ from the values read from the file. 

I'd be grateful for ideas on why this method of writing/reading complex arrays does not work correctly for large arrays, or how to better write/read complex data.

Best regards

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Impossible to tell from these snippets. Please come up with a small (if possible) but complete test case that demonstrates the problem, and I'm sure we'll be able to help you.