Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Composer XE

dannycat
New Contributor I
I currently have a valid license for Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows (With IMSL) and have looked into trying out the new Composer XE version.

I understand that the IMSL part has changed in terms of licensing whereby now you getone developer and one deployment license so I would have to charge everyone to use my application in IMSL is included to cover the license costs.

However my first question is: how can I obtain the latest XE product. I tried to get the evaluation version but it won't let me do it as I have previously done this when it first became available. (I didn't do much with it because of compiler bugs etc.)?

My 2nd question is: how long are Intel going to continue to support the 11.xx version. I assume aat some point it will be phased out?

My third question is: How much reduction in subscription will be offered when moving across to XE (as "value" of IMSL as effectivly reduced?

Finally: Can the software covered in the Webinar to do static and dyamic code checks be use with version 11.xx and VS2008?

Thanks

Steve
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
list prices here It may not be surprising if change of ownership of IMSL leads to a change in value to price ratio. I'm sure Steve has been struggling with the transition.

I haven't heard any specifics, but past history indicates that 11.1 should be supported at a low level until release of 13.0, and would remain available for download without support after that. If you're asking whether this support includes IMSL, I don't have that answer.

Do you have a URL reference for webinar? In cases where it is advertising new features of Composer, you would expect differences from ifort 11.1.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Fortran Composer XE with IMSL should be available within the next two weeks. (I hope!) If you wish, you can "downgrade" your license to Composer XE without IMSL by buying a support renewal for the lower priced product and apply it to the one with IMSL. Your existing applications will continue under the old license, but you won't be able to develop new ones using the newer compiler. You can continue using the 11.1 compiler with its corresponding IMSL for as long as you like.

While we will still accept support requests on 11.1 for now, don't expect much, if any, in the way of bug fixes in that version.

The price of the compiler with IMSL is not changing at this time, as the royalty structure doesn't give us much "wiggle room" here. You get one "deployment" license for the developer's use and can buy additional deployment licenses. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal from other IMSL sources, though. Please read the Q+A linked in the sticky post at the top of this forum.

The Inspector XE functionality you saw in the webinar is not supported by 11.1. The 11.1 compiler does have an earlier version of Static Security Analysis (called Static Verifier) there and does not require a separate tool, but I find it produces a lot of "noise" for Fortran code.
0 Kudos