Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26734 Discussions

Constructors for Parametrized Derived Types

Burcin_S_
Beginner

In my attempt to use a parametrized derived type by initialization, I received a "Internal Compiler Error". Before filling in a software problem report, I want to ask may there be something wrong about below code snippet and the related behavior:

type :: flexible_data (k)
         integer, len :: k
         character(len=26),dimension(k) :: variable_size_array
      end type

type(flexible_data(3)) :: FlexData1 = flexible_data(3)(['XYZ','YZX','ZXY'])

The compiler outputs the following error: ("Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 15.0.4.221 [IA-32]")

1>catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

If I change the length of character to 25 (I am especially using 25 and 26 in order to express the problem; actually which I don't expect to be special numbers), the compilation succeeds without error. However the code snippet above seems to be compatible with specifications in https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/678531.

Furthermore If I attempt to use below line instead of the above initialization (considering examples at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/678530):

type(flexible_data(:)), pointer:: FlexData1 = flexible_data(3)(['XYZ','YZX','ZXY'])

Regardless of the length of the character in definition, the compiler outputs again the "Internal Compiler Error".

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

An internal compiler error is ALWAYS a compiler bug. That said, you are using a three-year-old compiler and your first example compiles successfully with the current version 18 compiler.

The second example is not valid Fortran.