Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Corruption of Heap - pressing F12

davidgraham
Beginner

I get the following error when I press F12 when in debug mode, if I press 'continue' I can carry on.

I hadn't noticed this before but I loaded an old version of the software and it still happens - maybe I haven't been pressing F12 when in debug mode.

Reading other posts, they hadn't been pressing F12.

Should I not be using F12 - or is there a bug in my software. If there is, can you suggest how I can track it down.

Thanks

---------------     

'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\DavidG\Grade\GradeSource\Grade\Debug\Grade.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\win32u.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.14393.0_none_88fef4c26039fb25\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\profapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winspool.drv', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp_win.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2244) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xc84) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x718) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'Grade.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.14393.0_none_74bc87d3d22d9abe\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

Windows has triggered a breakpoint in Grade.exe.

This may be due to a corruption of the heap, which indicates a bug in Grade.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.

This may also be due to the user pressing F12 while Grade.exe has focus.

The output window may have more diagnostic information.
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1528) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[7060] Grade.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

F12, provided that you haven't remapped it, is (for Visual Studio) EditGoToDeffinition.

What happens when you right click on the same symbol, then select: Go To Deffinition

Note, the error message:

Windows has triggered a breakpoint in Grade.exe...
...This may also be due to the user pressing F12 while Grade.exe has focus

Implies that you pressed F12 while the window focus was that of the/a window of the running Grade.exe as opposed to Visual Studio IDE
It also implies Grade.exe was running at the time you pressed F12.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner

Jim,

Thanks. I should of said that the error message is correct - I have pressed F12 while Grade.exe had focus. I'm using F12 to change a display status within my program.

Should I not be using F12?

I had never noticed the problem before and in the live software the problem does not occur, so it is not a major problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'What happens when you right click on the same symbol, then select: Go To Deffinition'.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

Jim is talking about shortcut keys within Visual Studio.

Yes - F12 is a system wide hotkey that may execute an immediate breakpoint in a process being debugged and invoke the attached debugger. 

Note the breakpoint triggered by F12 should happen immediately, if this is a message that you are seeing at some other time, then you have another problem.

0 Kudos
davidgraham
Beginner

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using Visual Studio 2010.

I looked at Tools|Options|Environment|Keyboard and tried to remove the F12 assignment but it appears to have no affect.

Looks as if I will have to live with it.

0 Kudos