Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28637 Discussions

Create a Executable Using Intel Visual FORTRAN XE

Athula_A_
Beginner

I am looking for steps for creating a simple FORTRAN  executable file using Intel Visual FORTRAN XE.  I want to run the executable at the Windows 7 Command Prompt.  I don't needed to create any GUI for the legacy FORTRAN 90 programs.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The User and Reference Guide for the Intel® Fortran Compiler 14.0 (click title to access online) or with your product installation (Windows Start Menu > All Programs > Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 > Documentation) contains a Getting Started section with a sub-section titled Using the Command Line.

The Using the Command Line sub-section contains information on using the compiler command-line from the required pre-initialized command-prompt window and running applications under this same command-prompt window. There are three basic steps:

1. Open the Intel Visual Fortran initialized command-prompt window
2. Compile your source code using the ifort command-line to produce the executable
3. Run the executable under this same command-prompt window

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Athula_A_
Beginner

Yes this helps a lot.  I have couple of additional questions.

1) With my Compaq Visual FORTRAN (V6.5) Compiler, to use IMSL libraries I had to include the line 

USE IMSLF90 

However, this is not recognized by Intel Fortran Compiler.

So, how should I instruct the compiler to use IMSL math/stat libraries.

2) Can I use Microsoft Visual studio editor to debug, compile and create executables.  At this time I am only interested in creating executables using my Legacy FORTRAN code.

Thanks for any help.

Athula

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Regarding 1) it should be recognized assuming IMSL is installed. I confirmed your product purchase was our Intel Visual Fortran (IVF) with IMSL, so did you download and install the IMSL specific package?  

Refer to the article Installing and using the IMSL* Libraries for additional details about the required separate additional IMSL download file, installation, and usage of IMSL under the command-prompt window and with Microsoft Visual Studio.

Building from via the ifort command-line (under the IVF pre-initialized command-prompt window) and using IMSL should not require any additional steps. Building under the Microsoft Visual Studio requires some additional setup.

Regarding 2) assuming you satisfied the IVF minimum Microsoft Visual Studio requirement and installed the VS integrations or installed the Visual Studio Shell provided with Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE product, you may use the Microsoft Visual Studio to edit, debug, compile and create executables that you can then execute from the IVF initialized command-prompt window.  Referring to the Getting Started section in the User Guide again, there is a complete section on Using Microsoft* Visual Studio* (Windows* OS) that will be helpful with this.

Let's us know whether we can be of further assistance.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

In addition to Kevin's excellent advice, you will need to replace USE IMSLF90 with USE NUMERICAL_LIBRARIES and add one of the INCLUDE lines as described in the first article he linked to. The current IMSL has more choices than the one you used with CVF.

0 Kudos
FRESHIPALI_R_
Beginner

Hi. Intel Developers.

Hope you are doing fine.

I am using Intel(R) Visual FORTRAN Professional 11.1.051 in order to run and compile FORTRAN Codes. I don't know whether is it right ask here or not?  1)Now I am facing some errors in building my codes.

When I tried to build my code, the following error occurred  "error #7836: If the actual argument is scalar, the corresponding dummy argument shall be scalar unless the actual argument is an element of an array that is not an assumed-shape or pointer array, or a substring of such an element."  Though I am reading intelfortran pdf file to resolve this error,it is difficult to understand for me. If you would help me with this regard I will be grateful to you.

2). Is there any option to compile all FORTRAN Codes at a same time since I have few main programs, many subroutines?

Please note that Initially these FORTRAN Codes were executed using Compaq Visual FORTRAN.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You have an error in your code that was not detected by CVF. You have passed a scalar argument to a routine which accepts that argument as an array. This is not allowed in the language. For more information on this, see the section on sequence association in https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/31/doctor-fortran-in-ive-come-here-for-an-argument

As with Compaq Visual Fortran, you can compile many subroutines and ONE main program into an executable, by putting all the sources in a project and building the project.

0 Kudos
FRESHIPALI_R_
Beginner

Thanks a lot Mr. Steve Lionel. I have read the sequence association using a link which was provided by you in your last reply. It's so helpful.It seems I got what I want. 

Sorry I forgot to mention the following in my last post. Now I am using I am using Intel(R) Visual FORTRAN Professional 11.1.051 to execute the codes which were initially executed by using CVF.

By Using Intel Visual Fortran, Can I compile many Subroutines and One Main Program? Can I resolve that error using Intel Visual Fortran?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, of course you can - almost exactly the way you did in CVF. You create a new project of the appropriate kind (probably Fortran Console Application.) Add all your source files to the project. Select Build > Build Solution.

You should also read What are the differences between Compaq* Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran?

0 Kudos
FRESHIPALI_R_
Beginner

Thank so much for your help. 

0 Kudos
FRESHIPALI_R_
Beginner

Hi, Mr.Steve.

Your last guidance was so helpful to me. Ya It was worked and got output too. I wondered how couldn't see the error which was related to Arguments Section that I asked you for the first time.

I have one doubt more. When I did migration of codes from CVF to UVF I found the following statements which were stored in a separate text document right under the .exe file of IVF. The statements are

------ Project Conversion started on 10/15/2014 at 6:05 PM - Project: excution ------

Creating configuration context: excution - Win32 Debug...

Warn:argument_checking option not supported - option ignored

Warn:nofileopt option not supported - option ignored

Creating configuration context: excution - Win32 Release...

Warn:nofileopt option not supported - option ignored

excution project conversion succeeded

Project Conversion log was saved at "file://e:\Helicopter Details\Compound Helicopter\For my try\excution_log.txt"

Please guide me whether I should take care of this or not to care about this?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You can ignore those messages. To get the effect of /warn:argument_checking you should set Fortran > Diagnostics > Check routine interfaces to Yes.

0 Kudos