Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Curve fitting in Fortran 77

jagwani__suhail
Beginner

Hi, is it possible to implement a power curve fitting in Fortran 77. I have two data points and I have to predict the values between these two data points. I am trying to implement a power fit which can be represented by y=Constant*x^power. Does anyone know if there is a predefined sub routine which can fit it for the data values i provide automatically? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Quite possibly, but in general the problem would consist of finding the best parameters to fit a larger number of points. Since you have only two points, you can solve this analytically. I will leave the details to you :). (This is not a homework exercise, is it?)

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

The NIST Guide to Available Mathematical Software (GAMS) is likely to have a few curve-fitting algorithms you could examine.  The web site is: https://gams.nist.gov/

Use the "problem keywords" search tool and enter "curve fit" to see the list of possibilities.  You can view the source code to get an idea if one would fit your needs.

Regards, Greg

0 Kudos
jagwani__suhail
Beginner

Hi Greg, thank you for your suggestion. I shall look into it.

0 Kudos
dboggs
New Contributor I

I agree with Arjen, this sounds like an elementary homework problem, not a curvefit at all. But I'll give in and give you a hint. Just transform your equation from "power space" to "linear space" by taking the log of each side, then do a linear interpolation.

0 Kudos