Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Debug Symbols missing in Intel Visual Fortran

scitec
Beginner
Hi,

(It was suggested at comp.lang.fortran that this is a better place for my question. My appologies for the duplicate posting.)

I've just come back to working on the Fortran side of things after being diverted by other languages. I'm using IVF in a Visual Studio IDE (2003) to debug Fortran DLLs called from a VB.Net front end.

Previously I was able to view the values of Fortran variables in the debugger, but I seem to have done something to lose that ability. Now I just get messages like:

CXX0017: Error: symbol "intStatus" not found

One significant change I've made is upgrading to from IVF 9.0 to version 9.1, but reverting back to v9.0 (through the Intel Fortran section of Options) does nothing to retrieve the symbols. So I guess that I have inadvertently done something else.

One message listed in the Output window the might be relevant is:

Loaded 'C:WINNTsystem32IMAGEHLP.DLL', Cannot find or open a required DBG file.

But I haven't been able to understand what this means.

Any help or suggestions would be most gratefully receive.

Thanks,
Randy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

First, the message about "cannot find or open a required DBG file" can be ignored. This is just letting you know that, should you want to debug imagehlp.dll, you are missing its debug symbols. This message confuses just about everyone who sees it and I wish Visual Studio didn't put it out.

The real problem is that the Fortran debug integration is not properly installed. We have identified a problem with our installer in that when a previous version of the integration is uninstalled, it doesn't put everything back right. We have fixed this for future updates, and this problem affects VS.NET 2003 only.

There are two ways to fix this, depending on the state of things on your system. Close Visual Studio. Open the folder C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio.NET 2003Common7PackagesDebugger. Make a copy of the files CppEE.dll, NatDbgEE.dll and ForDbgSW.dll. Not all of these may be present.

Now, if CppEE.dll is present, delete it. Rename NatDbgEE.dll to CppEE.dll. Rename the copy of ForDbgSW.dll to NatDbgEE.dll

Given what you have said so far, this should fix the problem. If it doesn't, then you'll have to do the following:

• Uninstall the Intel Fortran Integration into Microsoft Visual Studio
  • Do a "Reinstall/Repair of Visual Studio.NET 2003 (start with Change in Add/Remove Programs
  • Reinstall Intel Fortran

We apologize for the inconvenience. Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
scitec
Beginner
Hello, Steve,

Thanks for your excellent answer. It looks as if the first suggestion did the trick. smiley [:-)]

Cheers,
Randy

0 Kudos