Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Debugging Information Missing

acar
Beginner
I've just had an occurrence of the No Debugging Information dialog appearing. I may have correupted it by pressing Cntl+F10 whilst I was already in a debug session. Anyway it won't debug now despite doing a Build Solution. I'm currently trying a Rebuild Solution to see if that works .......... No - that didn't work so I don't understand what I've done. Any help would be gratefully received.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, the warning messages from the linker are pretty clear that it did not find the debug info from VC90.pdb and therefore assumed there was none. I'm not sure what happened there, but I also see other linker complaints, such as duplicate objects and conflicting libraries that you should resolve. I am also uncomfortable with the settings to ignore libraries such as IFCONSOL and IFQWIN in the linker options - if you configured your project properly those should not be necessary.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Are you in a Release or Debug configuration? Please attach the build log from a Rebuild.
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
I have just restarted VS(2008) and the debugging information has mysteriously returned so a MS rather than an Intel issue!!
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Steve, I've added as an attachment the build log from a build rather than a rebuild. If you'd like to persue this further then let me know and I'll save the log from the next rebuild and sent it to you
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, the warning messages from the linker are pretty clear that it did not find the debug info from VC90.pdb and therefore assumed there was none. I'm not sure what happened there, but I also see other linker complaints, such as duplicate objects and conflicting libraries that you should resolve. I am also uncomfortable with the settings to ignore libraries such as IFCONSOL and IFQWIN in the linker options - if you configured your project properly those should not be necessary.
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Thanks for looking at this Steve and for the extra comments. I can't recall why I set the ignore libraries on IFCONSOL and IFQWIN except that I suspect it was advice I obtained when adding some proprietary library. I'll remove them and see what happens. This is a really interesting learning experience and I'm luck that the members of this forum are so helpful. Thanks to all. ACAR.
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
I've removed the IFCONSOL and IFQWIN from the Ignore Libraries switch in the linker options and the application links and runs as previously. Presumably if the linker was told to ignore them and the application ran then it is making no use them so I wonder Steve why you were uncomfortable with them being ignored?
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
When a build generates a large number of warnings, and the resulting program does not perform correctly (or as expected), the reasons for the latter could be either not-yet-discovered reasons/bugs in the source, or they could be because there is no longer a one-to-one correspondence between source files and the code that they contribute to the application executable.

The detritus from old builds needs to be cleaned out, and the project file or makefiles need to be fixed up such that

(i) module files reflect changes in the sources, and source codes where explicit interfaces are being used show correct interfaces.
(ii) code in the object file was generated from the source code as the latter is now, rather than being left over from an earlier compilation.

If your build process overuses the ability to ignore warnings, once the project complexity crosses a certain level some of those ignored warnings may be costing you quite a bit in terms of effort and frustration.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am uncomfortable with "ignore library" settings as those are usually a reaction to some previous error message where the real solution is to properly configure the project. Ignoring libraries often hides other problems that may be difficult to diagnose. There should never be a reason to ignore libifqwin, for example - if there is a reference to that it means some source was compiled to use QuickWin.
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Yes - I think it is time for a bit of reorganisation!!
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Okay. Thanks for that.
0 Kudos