Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28629 Discussions

Debugging problem with ASSOCIATE construct

jond
Novice
I have been having a debugging issue starting with, I believe, IVF 11.1.38. When in an ASSOCIATE construct I cannot see the values of variables defined outside the construct. A simple code demonstrating this behaviour is attached. Once the debugger goes into the ASSOCIATE construct, variables c, d, and e become "invisible". For this example, these variables are grayed out in the watch window. For complex programs, it seems, the watch window displays the message "Undefined variable". Is this a debugger issue? Is there currently a fix for this?

Thanks,
Jon
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

I'll take a look ... I can't think of anything right off that would have made this "better", so if you could just be patient until we can fix it, that would be great.

thanks -

- Lorri
0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

I have been unable to reproduce the behavior you are seeing, so it looks like we need more info.

What version of Visual Studio are you using? What platform? I used VS2005 and IA32. My colleague tried VS2008 and IA32; both of us saw the "extra" variables in the LOCALs windows.

Also, what build options are you using? Did you change any of the DEBUG configuration defaults?

- Lorri
0 Kudos
jond
Novice
I am using VS2005 Professional Edition with Windows XP. Version of my compiler is 11.1.046 but I had the same issue with the previous version. Under "Configuration Properties/Fortran/Command Line", I have

/nologo /debug:full /Od /gen-interfaces /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug" /object:"Debug" /traceback /check:bounds /check:arg_temp_created /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c

For "Linker/Command Line" I have

/OUT:"DebugTry.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"D:Work_DocumentsTryDebugTry.exe.intermediate.manifest" /DEBUG /PDB:"D:Work_DocumentsTryDebugTry.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /STACK:64000000 /FIXED:NO /IMPLIB:"D:Work_DocumentsTryDebugTry.lib"

Jon
0 Kudos
jond
Novice
Lorri,

I am using IA32 version of the complier. By the way, I just realized that I can see the variables under LOCALS tab but not under WATCH 1 tab when I add them as watched variables. I normally don't use the LOCALS tab as I often have tens of local variables.

THanks,
Jon
0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

Jon -

Thanks for all the info. We were able to reproduce it internally, and we suspect there is a mismatch in our "handshake" with Visual Studio for the 'watch' variables. It appears there is a different call for the LOCALs window than for the WATCH window (or hovering, which is really just a very-small watch window).

The internal problem report id is DPD200140040 and we'll report back here with an update when we get it fixed.

Thanks for the small reproducer --

- Lorri
0 Kudos