Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Disappearing source file

WSinc
New Contributor I
I had a project that only has 2 source files in it.
It was a Quickwin project.

All of a sudden with no warning, one of the source files disappeared.
It was a subroutine. TheSOLN explorerlist did not show it, nor could I find it with "add existing item."
So it was totally gone from the area whereall theproject files are stored.

I thensearched all over my C drive and the Recycle bin. No trace of it anywhere on my computer.

Any idea what the VS 2008 could have done with it?
I wasNOT editing it when it disappeared.

Hopefully, I will not have to recreate it from scratch and debug it all over again.

This is the second time this week this has happened, but it never happened before.
Would this have to do with the new compiler XE 12?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The compiler cannot delete your source files.

Several years ago I read about a Visual Studio buig that could cause this, but it was way back in VS98 and I have never heard of it with recent VS versions.

For it to also disappear from the project suggests that VS thinks you did delete the file.
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
What file extension did it have?
Was it on a network drive? (files deleted from them do not show up in the recycle bin)
Could accidentally have been 'hidden'?
0 Kudos
John_B__Walter
Beginner
Just a stray thought, but do you do your development work on more than one computer?

If you developed and debugged a routine without backing it up, I'm thinking you're not under source control. So if like me you sometimes work on a different machine, perhaps you should look for your routine there?

I haven't had one of my files disappear, but I've discovered I'd looked on the wrong machine for a modification I'd made.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Did something fall on your keyboard and hit the delete key while the file entry in the sloution folder had focus? e.g. you click in the solution tree to the file you want to bring into the top of the edit window, then get distracted, then somehow hit the delete key i.e. focus on entry in solution tree (not edit window). Normally you receive a "Delete or Remove", but in some cases I've seen no such prompt.

If something on your system deletes a file (which is referenced within a Project/Solution) it will not edit the Project/Solution and remove the file from the files list. Therefore, I suspect something caused a "restore" to revert to an earlier version of the file system (with earlier revision of the project/solution).

I am not sure on VS2008 if the same Project can be open more than once (and with write privledges). If it can, then verify that you do not have the same Project open more than once. Note a givenproject may exist in multiple solutions, so if you have different solutions open, two or more of which contain the same project, you may have a conflict as to which solution owns the project. VS has an auto save feature, and this may be saving an older revision of a project over a newer one (in a different solution).

Also check to see if you are using a version control system (e.g. visual source safe) in a shared environment and someone else is restoring their development environment.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos