Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Doctor Fortran has a new home!

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Given that I have been retired from Intel for more than three years, it made sense for me to put the Doctor Fortran blog on my own site rather than on Intel's. So, without further ado, the new location for Doctor Fortran is:

https://stevelionel.com/drfortran

There you can read my latest post along with previous post-retirement posts. I hope to be able to copy pre-retirement posts there as well, but there are links to all. You can also subscribe to be notified by email when a new post appears. (I hope to add one last post on IDZ but am blocked from doing that right now - I expect that will get resolved soon.)

21 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Very nice web site -- well done

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Excellent, highly healthy for Fortran!  Keep up the great work,

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I have read most of the Dr Fortran posts in the past and found them both helpful and informative. It is great to have such good information/resources still available. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

With Intel's OK, I have now copied all the Doctor Fortran posts I could find, including those from the DVF Newsletter, to the new site. Three posts are gone, unfortunately.

I've also figured out how to show only an excerpt of each post on the home page rather than the entire post, and have opened up comments on all the posts. Please do let me know if there's any topics you'd like the Doctor to address.

Edgardo_Doerner

I have always found that your articles are very helpful and inspiring, thanks for your work!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
Morgan__John
Beginner

Nice website, thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

Very nice and very useful. THANK YOU again so mush for your service to Fortran community. I am still struggling but, I would not be able to get this far without your help.

See you around

I. Konuk

PS: Very sorry to hear Stan passing.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Great article. Is there some way you can influence Intel to include a link to this article in their Fortran documentation?

Question on polymorphic/class types. Are the hidden descriptors defined by a Fortran standard? IOW can one be assured that these descriptors are comparable amongst all compiler vendors? i.e. generating a library from one vendor can be used by a user using different compiler vendor.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The descriptors are NOT standardized and it has long been the case that you can't mix Fortran objects compiled by different compilers. I recall an inquiry, many years back, by one of the gfortran developers asking if compatibility of polymorphic descriptors was possible - I replied that it wasn't, and that there are too many other things that each compiler does differently (I/O, tracking of allocatable variables, different library routines, etc.) to even begin to think about some sort of inter-compiler compatibility.

Your mention of libraries is an important point, but I think the same issue applies to most any language.

Compiler documentation isn't intended to teach you the language, though many use it for that. There are several excellent books that purport to teach you Fortran. Some are better than others. I have not reviewed the more recent entries, but a while ago I did a post about some of them.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

sequence of bits whose interpretation depends on their context.

This is true for all bits -- it is always the context 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Not everyone understood this, and as I write, for a long time the standard didn't help. There was a recent kerfluffle among the gfortran community when the developers fixed a long-time misunderstanding of how BOZ constants should be interpreted. This was the impetus for my post.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I really love your Dr Fortran documents, with a dry wit. 

I was just being pedantic. 

0 Kudos