Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28629 Discussions

Double click selection of variable name is broken in VS

Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

In November 2013 I posted this but the post is locked so I can not bump it:

If you double click a variable name in the source that is a component of a derived type, VS selects past the percent sign on the left but not that on the right!  It would be better I think if it stopped for both sides. It seams to have got changed in XE2013 update 5. In update 3 select stopped on both sides.

It is not yet fixed in XE 2015 update 3 and I presume not in later ones. I know it probably seams minor but it does affect users productivity. Is there an issue number ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please give the URL of the other thread.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can reproduce the behavior, but I'm not sure that what you want is better. If I have:

r%a%b

and double-click on r, I get r. If I double-click on a I get r%a, and if I double-click on b I get r%a%b. That seems reasonable to me. What would be the use of just selecting the individual component? However, I see that's what happens in C code and it should probably be consistent. Issue ID is DPD200371494.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

For me I suppose there are as many times I might want to select the parent as not so perhaps a third rapid click could widen the selection to the whole identifier, or perhaps a control key while double clicking. The selection should widen both sides of the element selected, so in your example double clicking a would select just a and triple clicking a would select r%a%b.

Another enhancement I can suggest:

In SmallTalk one can double click an opening brace and it selects up to the matching brace, same for quote marks but then you need to carefully click one side or the other to guide the search direction. I miss this in Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

With brace matching VS nearly gets there. If you have brace matching option on and click a brace it highlights the matching brace, then if you hold shift down and click the highlighted matching brace it makes the selection.

0 Kudos