Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28593 Discussions

Edit source while running in Debug mode

Tony_the_D
Beginner

I am running VS 2013 V 12.0.21005.1 and 2015 Composer Fortran for Windows (Package 2015.0.108).  I just installed in on a new computer and moved a solution and related projects and source from an existing older computer.  On the old computer, I am able to Edit source code while running a program.  I usually continue editing (while running in debug) until the line numbers get "lost", then I restart the program and continue.  On the new computer, all files are locked as soon as I start running in debug mode and I cannot edit even at a break point or by using break all.  I have checked file access settings etc and also the Edit and Continue settings and related debug settings and all appear similar between the two computers.

So any ideas on how to enable me to edit source code while running in debug mode?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

tools > options > debug > Edit and Continue > Enable edit and Continue

The option above be unticked might be the problem. 

There was also a version that enforced this behaviour as an 'improvment' but it was dropped. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/550985

0 Kudos
Tony_the_D
Beginner

Thanks, but I have tried that option to no avail.  (Not sure how it would give different behaviour on two computers each running the same version of VS and Fortran Composer?)

0 Kudos
Tony_the_D
Beginner

The comment "a version that enforced this behaviour as an 'improvement' but it was dropped" was key.  I installed the latest version of Composer (2015.4.221) and that appears to have solved the problem (with the Edit and Continue box checked).  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos