Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Editor Outlining

abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi

I know that Intel Fortran Editor is really "behind" in many customizations such as word complete, function browsing etc. The "Outlining" feature is also not built it. Although one can create it, that information is not "saved". So when the file is reopened, all the "hide selection" are gone. Is there any solution that would retain the outlining?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Some of those features require private interfaces not available to licensees of the Visual Studio shell. As for saving the outlining status - I can't get MSVC to do that either - can you?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Whoops - I guess MSVC does save the outlining. You can file a feature request for that with Intel Premier Support.
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Thanks Steve.

I have put up a request for the premier support. In my brief search I found that the PGI compiler, which is also fully-intergrated with VS2005, editor can save the oultines. Hope Intel gets it too. It has been extremely frustrating to have a "severely limited editor" in the Intel package....

Abhi

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Abhi,

What's the issue number from Premier Support? I can't find your entry.
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Steve

The issue number is 466044.

However, I think there is a solution to this problem. And right now, it appears quite logical to me....When I create the project and save the file, the project saves the corresponding outline information about the files. Sowhen the file is again opened from the project menu (source files) it has the outlining information is correctly displayed. But if the file opened outside the project, all the info is lost.

As I said above, although this is restrictive, it seems logical that the 'project' saves this extra information and not the file.

My problem is that I really like Intel compiler and its integration with VS2005 so I would never use other editor ( I am sort of forced to use something else for efficient function browsing etc). I am wondering what can be done to retain the hiding information when the files are checked in-out of VSS as we don't save solutions/projects in VSS.

Abhi

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You are correct that this information is saved in the project and not the file. If you are editing outside VS, how would you expect the outlining information to be represented?

0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Steve

I do NOT expect the information edited outside VS to be saved! The point I wanted to drive home is "make the Intel Editor the best one out there"!!!

I will update the premier support record soon.

Abhi

0 Kudos