Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28602 Discussions

Error #5120: Unterminated character constant?

sramanujam
Beginner
when i compile a fortran code using intel fortran compiler for linux in centos 64 bit linux machine, i'm getting this error (Error #5120: Unterminated character constant?). what does the error mean, and how to solve this?

the compiler points out the error from line PARAMETER(kCompPath='/etc/kcarta/kcartaV... but the syntax for PARAMETER is verified with compiler gfortran.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ron_Green
Quoting - sramanujam
when i compile a fortran code using intel fortran compiler for linux in centos 64 bit linux machine, i'm getting this error (Error #5120: Unterminated character constant?). what does the error mean, and how to solve this?

the compiler points out the error from line PARAMETER(kCompPath='/etc/kcarta/kcartaV... but the syntax for PARAMETER is verified with compiler gfortran.

If this is a fixed-format source form file (that is, an old F77 column-oriented format, .for, .f, etc)
make sure to use

-extend-source 80
or
-extend-source 132
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please attach the source file in question (see instructions below) so we can see what is going on.

The error message itself is pretty clear. How to solve it will depend on what's in your source. Does your source have a .F or .F90 (uppercase F) file type? That would cause it to run through the preprocessor which might change things.
0 Kudos