Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28603 Discussions

Evaluation version and license files

Smith__Neill
Beginner
I have had IVF 10 installed on my computer since Oct 07. On 04/01/10 I installed IVF 11 from a disk. However, the Intel system no longer recognized my password that was associated with my E-mail address that I used when I installed IVF 10. Consequently, I had to install the 30-day evaluation copy of IVF 11. Intel support has not been able to resolve the issue with my E-mail address (which is also my UserID) and my password. Their password reset process does not work for me (I'm special, i.e. cursed), and Intel support has not been able to make it work. I had my E-mail server manager assign me a second E-mail address just to use with Intel. I successfully registered my IVF 11 serial number online on 04/21/10 using this new E-mail address. I received an E-mail with a license file attached to it. What is not clear to me is what am I supposed to do with this file. The E-mail contains the following:

MANUAL LICENSE FILE INSTALLATION
For your convenience, your license file has been sent to you (*.lic file) as an attachment to this email. Although the product installer will automatically obtain and install this license file for you when you register, it does require an Internet connection. If you do not have an Internet connection or otherwise wish to manually install the license file you will be asked to provide the name of this license file, including directory or filename. For example, "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Intel\\Licenses\\m_cc_cd_com.lic." Do not change the file name as the ".lic" extension is critical.

When I registered online on 04/21/10 did "the product installer automatically obtain and install this license file for me when I registered"? When I look in my Intel license folder "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Intel\\Licenses" I do not see this license. I do see the license from my Oct 07 install of IVF 10.

How do I tell if I am still running the evaluation IVF 11, or if I have been converted to a licensed version?

Who or what does the asking according to "or otherwise wish to manually install the license file you will be asked to provide the name of this license file, including directory or filename". I have not been directed to any process or web site that asked me for this information.

I really need to be sure that my IVF 11 isn't suddenly going to stop working.

Thanks,

Neill Smith
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

The "asking" is done when the compiler installs, when it talks about "activation". One of the options is for "alternative" activation which includes a license file.

However, the simple thing to do is to copy the .lic file into Program Files\Common Files\Intel\Licenses - as that's what the installer will do. If there are other files in this folder, move them elsewhere to eliminate the evaluation license.

One way to tell if the compiler thinks you have an evaluation version is to open a Fortran Build Environment command prompt and type the command "ifort". It will tell you if you have an evaluation license.

Let me know if this works for you.
0 Kudos
Smith__Neill
Beginner
Thanks Steve. I was indeed still under the evaluation license, but now I am "legit". I was surprised, however, that a clear method of upgrading from an evaluation version (whether installed from a disk or downloaded) to a fully licensed version is not supplied as a matter of course either as a standalone app for command line aficionados or a "button" with Visual Studio.

Thanks again,

Neill
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Glad to be of assistance.
0 Kudos