Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Executable directory misdirection

nvaneck
New Contributor I
My project disk drive changed from E: to D:. Everything compiles to the correct places on the D: drive but when trying to start the execution (Debug or release) it can't find the newly created executables. It looks for E:\.... and of course that doesn't exist. It must be something simple, but I can find no reference to E: anywhere in options or project files. Where does it set this path? All I can find is references to relative paths.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - nvaneck
My project disk drive changed from E: to D:. Everything compiles to the correct places on the D: drive but when trying to start the execution (Debug or release) it can't find the newly created executables. It looks for E:.... and of course that doesn't exist. It must be something simple, but I can find no reference to E: anywhere in options or project files. Where does it set this path? All I can find is references to relative paths.

Try deleting the (hidden) SolutionName.suo file from your solution directory. It contains debug target, breakpoint locations, bookmarks and similar stuff. It is known to go berzerk on occasion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Project >Properties > Debugging > Command. Look also at Linker > Output File.
0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
Project >Properties > Debugging > Command. Look also at Linker > Output File.

Yes, well I did that before I posted and it says:

$(OUTDIR)/MicrOsiris.exe

Which doesn't help me. As I said in the post, the files DO go in the correct directory. It's just that the debugger can't find the executable, thinking it's on a non-existent drive instead of where the linker put it.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What does it say under Debugging > Command Line? That's where Visual Studio will look for the program.
0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
What does it say under Debugging > Command Line? That's where Visual Studio will look for the program.
It says:

$(TargetPath)

but I can't find where it'svalue is set....

0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
Quoting - nvaneck
It says:

$(TargetPath)

but I can't find where it'svalue is set....

Re-creating the project is the only way I've found to get around this.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
$(TargetPath) is, as I understand it, taken from the Linker's output setting.
0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
$(TargetPath) is, as I understand it, taken from the Linker's output setting.
Yes, and I tried copying it fromthe linker to the debug target, but still didn't work. Apparently the original dirve letter just gets stuck somewhere invisibly--edit seachs everywhere I could think of failed to find it.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please attach the .vfproj file for yoiur project.
0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
Please attach the .vfproj file for yoiur project.

Ok; here it is.
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - nvaneck
My project disk drive changed from E: to D:. Everything compiles to the correct places on the D: drive but when trying to start the execution (Debug or release) it can't find the newly created executables. It looks for E:.... and of course that doesn't exist. It must be something simple, but I can find no reference to E: anywhere in options or project files. Where does it set this path? All I can find is references to relative paths.

Try deleting the (hidden) SolutionName.suo file from your solution directory. It contains debug target, breakpoint locations, bookmarks and similar stuff. It is known to go berzerk on occasion.
0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
Quoting - Jugoslav Dujic

That's it! Thanks, Juroslav. Your suggesion was on the money. It does have the E: reference in it and deleting it fixed the problem
0 Kudos