Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Blank space in flie name

Reinaldo
Beginner

When I Open a file that has a path with blank spaces, e.g C:\Program files\etc...) the file is not found because it is truncated to C:\Program
Is there a way to have fortran get the full path and name with blank spaces?

Thanks,

Reinaldo

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - Reinaldo

When I Open a file that has a path with blank spaces, e.g C:Program filesetc...) the file is not found because it is truncated to C:Program
Is there a way to have fortran get the full path and name with blank spaces?

Thanks,

Reinaldo

Enquote the quotes (you have both ' and " for quotes)

'"C:Program Files"'

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
How is this filename getting to Fortran? Is it a command line argument? You'll see the same behavior for many applications. Enclosing the filename in quotes ("") will handle that.

If it's just in an OPEN, then embedded blanks in a file specification are fine.
0 Kudos
Reinaldo_Garcia
Beginner
How is this filename getting to Fortran? Is it a command line argument? You'll see the same behavior for many applications. Enclosing the filename in quotes ("") will handle that.

If it's just in an OPEN, then embedded blanks in a file specification are fine.

Thanks Steve:

I use the GETARG subroutine to assign from the command line argument the file name to a character variable. The file name may have blank spaces. I then use the fullpathqq and splitpathqq functions to extract the path, which I assign to anothervariable. In both cases I get the names trucated when there is a blank space. What can I do in those cases?

Thanks so much,

Reinaldo
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - Reinaldo Garcia

Thanks Steve:

I use the GETARG subroutine to assign from the command line argument the file name to a character variable. The file name may have blank spaces. I then use the fullpathqq and splitpathqq functions to extract the path, which I assign to anothervariable. In both cases I get the names trucated when there is a blank space. What can I do in those cases?

Thanks so much,

Reinaldo

I would expect that you need to surround the argument in the command line with double quotes. As mentioned earlier, this behavious is common with other Windows programs.

David
0 Kudos