Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Exit codes ExitCode

Rob1
Beginner

Hi,

I have a fortran exe built in visual studio 2017 community with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 5 Composer Edition.  Running on windows 10 x64.

This exe is called from vb.net, and i'm getting the exit code of the exe with .ExitCode (in vb.net).

If the exe runs successfully the exit code = 0

If I kill the exe command window the exit code = 2

If a failure occurs (which i'm trying to troubleshoot), the exit code = 27

I assume these are default (windows) exit/error codes?  Where can i get a list of these codes?  Is it possible to get more information from windows?

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The error codes can come from a variety of sources. Windows error codes are listed here, but a Fortran executable can also exit with a Fortran error code. And of course the application may have its own codes. Once the program exits you have lost any opportunity to find out more, but the Windows event viewer sometimes captures errors in applications - don't get your hopes up on that.

0 Kudos
Rob1
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response Steve,

A coworker of mine has looked in the event viewer and apparently did not find anything there.

I'm not setting any codes in the application that i'm aware of.

With some more testing, it would seem that possibly we are running out of RAM.  If so would the system error code 27 make sense?:

ERROR_SECTOR_NOT_FOUND

27 (0x1B)

The drive cannot find the sector requested.

Rob

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

For code 27 I'd be more inclined to think that a Fortran run-time error code, which in this case is "too many records in I/O statement". It's not a Windows code.

Can you run the EXE directly? That might give you more of a clue. If nothing else try to redirect the standard error output to a file.

0 Kudos