Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26745 Discussions

FOR$IOS_NO_SUCDEV and FOR$IOS_FILNAMSPE

Ilie__Daniel
Beginner

Hello All,

Could you possibly tell me when I would get the following errors while calling an OPEN statement?

severe (42): No such device

FOR$IOS_NO_SUCDEV. A pathname included an invalid or unknown device name when an OPEN operation was attempted.

severe (43): File name specification error

FOR$IOS_FILNAMSPE. A pathname or file name given to an OPEN or INQUIRE statement was not acceptable to the Intel® Fortran RTL I/O system.

Thank you for your help.

Daniel.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I've inquired w/Development.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

You have a file specification not acceptable to Windows (The Fortran I/O system really doesn't care.) How about you show us what filespec you're passing to OPEN, and perhaps also print it with Z format so we can see if there are invalid characters within.

Ilie__Daniel
Beginner

Steve,

Unfortunately, the file that caused this issue was deleted by a different process.

We have tried many times to recreate the issue, but we have been unlucky so far.

If I manage to reproduce it, I will let you know.

Daniel.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The issue pertains to the string passed as FILE= in the OPEN, not the actual file. I suggest adding some logging output when the OPEN fails.

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Development offered:

Try to open some incorrect device. e.g. “/dev/log”

$ cat f.f90
    open(1, file='/dev/log')
    end

$ ifort f.f90 && ./a.out                                                                                    
forrtl: No such device or address
forrtl: severe (42): no such device, unit 1, file /dev/log

This specify that file name is incorrect. Example is filename of zero length:

$cat f.f90
    open(1, file="")
    end

$ ifort f.f90 && ./a.out
forrtl: severe (43): file name specification error, unit 1, file "Unknown"

Ilie__Daniel
Beginner

Steve and Kevin - Thank you.

I have already added logging if this happens again.