Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

FORTRAN 2020 VISUAL STUDIO 2019

El_Zorro_Oro
Novice

"Upgraded" to Visual Studio 2019 and Intel Fortran 2020; replaced VS 2015 and Intel Fortran 2016. I noticed that Fortran did not show up as language in the templates - so compiled as a console app.

Using default setup the compile time for a small Fortran program was 9 minutes rather than a one or two seconds on the previous version - there must be something wrong, but I have no idea what.  Same issue with X86 or x64 target. Debug configuration.

The Fortran code is attached - it links OK and runs correctly; just compile time is not acceptable.

The build log is also attached, many new options that I do not recogonize.

System and application follow:

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.3.311 [IA-32]...

parallel_studio_xe_2020_update4_professional_edition

OS Name  Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise

Version  10.0.18363 Build 18363

Processor  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1535M v6 @ 3.10GHz, 3096 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)  32.0 GB

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019 Version 16.0.22

Microsoft .Net Framework Version 4.8.03752

------------- Build Log -----------------------

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.3.311 [IA-32]...

ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug\\" /object:"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc160.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.20.27508\bin\HostX86\x86" /Qm32 "C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\!_Working\FORTRAN APPS\UPSAMLE_.for"

UPSAMPLE_V2020 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

I just checked my install, VS 2019 Preview, Fortran shows up and the speed is fine, I suggest a reinstall and make sure you pick up all the necessary boxes on the install.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

I just checked my install, VS 2019 Preview, Fortran shows up and the speed is fine, I suggest a reinstall and make sure you pick up all the necessary boxes on the install.  

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019 Version 16.0.22

16.11 is the latest one - I would update. 

El_Zorro_Oro
Novice

Thank you for your reply.  I am in a big company so not so easy but will try to update.

El_Zorro_Oro
Novice

Thank you for your reply.  I did a repair and got no improvement.  So I will have to get IT to reinstall - big companies do not us worker bees have much control .

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

The gods gave us the central limit theorem, but it is IT that gives us the uniform distribution with a = b for everyone.   IT likes to keep to itself infinite power.  Thus proving that infinity times 0 is 1. 

Good luck.