Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

FORTRAN source edititing issue

Sudip_Chakraborty

I am using Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 (Update 1) Composer Edition for FORTRAN in conjunction with Visual Studio 2012. I am encountering an annoying problem. The IDE editor is extremely slow editing FORTRAN source and include files. Every character I type in, especially in the control columns (columns 1 thru 6), IDE thinks for several seconds (3 to 7secs) before allowing me to type the next character, very frustrating. Is this a known problem? I also happen to have Visual Studio 2013 installed on my system, and that too integrates with the Intel FORTRAN. I have not verified if Visual Studio 2013 is behaving the same way.

Is there a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
henning_woehler
Beginner

this may be due to the advanced editor settings. I encountered the same problem with VS 2013 and Parallel Studio 2015. Disable all the advanced settings in Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> Fortran -> Advanced and see if this helps. Not all settings are responsible for the delay but I don't remember the critical ones. With Parallel Studio 2016 I don't have this problem anymore.

Henning

0 Kudos
Sudip_Chakraborty

Thanks. That did work.

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor I

I still see this behavior even with the latest version (Intel 2016 with VS 2013). It is parsing the file constantly. I'd like to be able to use the advanced editing features, but they make the IDE unusable.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

@Jacob - Is that happening with any one particular Advanced Feature or when all or most are enabled?

You probably are already aware of this. In the Using Source Editor Enhancements in Visual Studio* section, https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/524601, in the User’s Guide, it mentions Disabling Database can help improve performance on slower systems, but that comes at the expense of losing features tied to code browsing.

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor I

I have a very fast system, but fiddling with the options doesn't seem to help much. It usually works fine for a while, but the longer Visual Studio is open, the slower it will get, until it comes to a point where it becomes unusable (press space bar, wait 3 seconds for file to parse, repeat).

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear all,

I have exactly the same problem as what Jacob said. Is there any perfect solution to this problem? I have also reported a similar issue here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/557758

Thanks

0 Kudos