Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fee.dll terribly slows down the debugger

ovz
Beginner

Hi All,

My team works on a large code base a significant part of which is in Fortran. We recently upgraded to Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 Update 3 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012, 13.0.3624.11. After this we all are experiencing unbearable slowdowns when debugging the code. Whenever we try to debug Fortran or even just have a Fortran module on the call stack every debugger step through the code takes 10 or more seconds of full CPU load. Using Sysinternals Process Explorer I was able to see the call statck like one listed below. Note FEE.dll which is Intel(R) Fortran Expression Evaluator 13.0.2225.2. 

I need help with this urgently as the entire team cannot work normally because of this. 

msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x2c060
msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x2c1ff
msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x2c278
msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x2b3b7
msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x3536e
msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x1093a
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x205f7
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x20972
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0xb18e
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0xb4fe
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x9cc4
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x505f
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x655c
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x760a
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x7e14
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x8354
FEE.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x307e2
VSDebugEng.dll!DkmDllEnsureInitialized+0x8169c
VSDebugEng.dll!ProcDkmFree+0x1989
VSDebugEng.dll!ProcDkmFree+0x1776
VSDebugEng.dll!DkmDllEnsureInitialized+0x857e5
VSDebugEng.dll+0xc25d
VSDebugEng.dll!DkmDllUninitialize+0x24a
ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x85
ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x58

0 Kudos
78 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Whenever we try to debug Fortran or even just have a Fortran module on the call stack every debugger step through >>the code takes 10 or more seconds of full CPU load... By the way, it is a well know problem when debugging C/C++ applications which require lots of memory for processing. There are three possible reasons: - Application allocates lots of memory on the stack - Application allocates lots of memory from the system heap - Stack Reserve and Stack Commit values are too big
0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

Sergey,

I appreciate the advise, but this is not the situation I described. The sluggishness in fee.dll happens _always_ whenver Fortran modules are on call stack, no matter how much memory is consumed etc. C/C++ with no Fortran debugs fine.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I see. Here is another question: >> >>...msdia110.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x2c060 >>... Are you using DIA SDK ( Debug Interface Access SDK ) to get some information from program database files ( *.pdb )?
0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

No, we don't. We don't have any funcitonality that talks to debugger.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Whenever we try to debug Fortran or even just have a Fortran module on the call stack every debugger step >>through the code takes 10 or more seconds of full CPU load... Is there any additional output in Output Window of Visual Studio when you're debugging? Please carefully verify.
0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

No, just the usual stuff in Output Window. When I stepping through the code with 10s delay I can definitely see that nothing gets printed.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I would also try commenting some blocks of codes. Sorry, it is really unclear what else could be wrong.
0 Kudos
Anonymous66
Valued Contributor I

Could you try setting "Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced > Disable Database" to true?

0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion Annalee. Disable Database has no effect on the phenomenon though. 

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi ovz,

did you try to debug with windbg?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

There is also possibility to debug a debugger.It can be done by attach invasively to VS process.I see that you were able with process explorer to identify and collect debugger's thread so it could not be a problem to do it with windbg.Next option after locating the VS debugger's thread will be execute !runaway metacommand in order to isolate most active threads in term of cpu time consumption.Next try to put breakpoint of functions that you suppose are responsible for hogging cpu.You can also be forced to disassemble those function to better understand what has happend.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I would also advise before attaching windbg at least try to profile with Xperf VS process while debugging your application.Pay attention to FEE.dll

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

Debugging the Fortran integration to Visual Studio in the absence of any debug symbols or source is a completely absurd proposition for an Intel Visual Fortran end user.

In the absence of being able to create a simple reproducer I'd be zipping your entire solution up and uploading it as a Premier Support issue.

0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

I did try debugging simple Fortran projects. There no slowdown stepping through it. Our codebase is indeed large and we have large number of lines in files that are in the call stack. It used to work fine in VS 2010 though. Hopefully there's a way to configure Fee.dll not to invoke things it does invoke on every step through the code in debugger. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous66
Valued Contributor I

Submitting your program to us as a test case would be very helpful. Since it is very large, I would suggest using Premier Support. If you post the issue number, I can assign it to myself.

Annalee

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>...Whenever we try to debug Fortran or even just have a Fortran module on the call stack every debugger step >>>>through the code takes 10 or more seconds of full CPU load... >> >>Is there any additional output in Output Window of Visual Studio when you're debugging? Could you post a complete content of Output Window for the working cycle of your application? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Absence of any debug symbols>>>

Maybe FEE.dl has public debug symbols.Process explorer was able to resolve exact function name DllGetClassObject  called from FEE.dll I suppose that the problem is located further in call chain.At least you can inspect return values of callee.DllGetClassObject returns void pointer to interface on failure it will return null pointer.I think that this could be the case of extensive calls to DllGetClassObject.

0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

Annalee, thanks for being ready to help. I need to get an approval to post the codebase to Premier support issue.

0 Kudos
ovz
Beginner

Sergey, 

I'm attaching the output in two files. the _BEFORE_ file has output captured before application hits the breakpoint in Fortran. There was a 10 second slowdown after the breakpoint hit but before the enviroment is responsive. Then I stepped through 3 lines, each step assoicated with a delay. _AFTER_ file contains the rest of the output. Again, the output looks totally normal for our applicaiton.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thanks for these Output Window files and I'll take a look tomorrow.
0 Kudos