Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

File OPEN crashing

NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I have the following line of Fortran code early in my app:

OPEN(UNIT = FILDBGNUM, FILE = FILDBG, STATUS = 'REPLACE')

All arguments are appropriate.  I am getting the error forrtl: severe (602): file not found.

Wait a second.  The STATUS = 'REPLACE'.  How could that error be generated?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Some things to check:

• Does the run time error occur show the line number when it occurs, and is that the line number of the OPEN statement that you showed?
  • Do you have other OPEN statements in your program?
  • Do you have write permission for the directory in which the OPEN statement may attempt to create a new/replacement file?

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Question 1: Yes.

Question 2: Yes.

Question 3: Yes.

The OPEN statement is the first one encountered in the executable.  This app is QuickWin and the OPEN is coming as part of command-line processing.  Here is its routine:

SUBROUTINE OPEN_DEBUG_FILE()
    INTEGER DOT_POS

DOT_POS = SCAN(FILIN, '.', BACK = .TRUE.)
    FILDBG = FILIN(1:DOT_POS) // 'dbg'

OPEN(UNIT = FILDBGNUM, FILE = FILDBG, STATUS = 'REPLACE')
END SUBROUTINE OPEN_DEBUG_FILE

FILIN is input as part of the command line.  FILIN (CHARACTER string), FILDBG (CHARACTER string) and FILDBGNUM (INTEGER) are MODULE level variables.  When the code is run in the VS debugger, the error occurs which is "OKed" and then the cursor is left on the OPEN statement with the claim of an Exception.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Please show the complete error message as displayed.

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Have you checked the file name that is created by this code? It might result in an invalid name.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I would like to respond to this request, but I would also like to protect myself from public viewing of the code.

0 Kudos
LRaim
New Contributor I

I take the opportunity of this thread about OPEN to add the following case/error experienced some weeks ago:

============================================================================

*** XPSIM, v. 2.02  ***
 *** Process  Simulation  Program  ***
    - Input, Calculation and Output Summary  Report  -
    - Simulation started at 23.32.46 on JUN 29, 2018 -
* RUN N.    51 - STARTED AT 23.32.46 ON JUNE      29, 2018 *

INPUT LISTING                                         P.   1
   * NO DIAGNOSTICS GENERATED *
    * PROCESS SIMULATION
      'TAP        STAFF            WATER FLOW              '
      IS EXECUTING *

* INPUT PRINTOUT *
    GENERAL DATA                                          P.   5
    ACTIVE COMPONENTS                                     P.   6
    CHEM/PHYS CALCULATION METHODS                         P.   7
    STREAM 'S1      ' DATA                                P.  12
    UNIT OPERATION   1 - 'V1      '                       P.  12
    UNIT OPERATION   2 - 'PL1     '                       P.  13
    UNIT OPERATION   3 - 'F1      '                       P.  19
    STREAM 'INAIR   ' DATA                                P.  19
    UNIT OPERATION   4 - 'PSD1    '                       P.  19
    STREAM DICTIONARY/CROSS REFERENCES                    P.  20
    SIMULATION STATS/LOOPS DEFINITION                     P.  21

* CALCULATION SUMMARY PRINTOUT *
forrtl: severe (46): inconsistent OPEN/CLOSE parameters, unit -130, file C:\USERS\LUIGI\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\XPSIMWIN 3.0\STRMPARA.WKF
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source            
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64DBC25E8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64DB89284  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64D934AAE  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64D5713C7  DSTR_XREAD                357  v1sdlini.for
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64DB59165  MAIN__                    497  V1XPSIM.FOR
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64DC3521E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
XPSIMV30.EXE       00007FF64DC35659  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
KERNEL32.DLL       00007FFE73C83034  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          00007FFE74891431  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

============================================================================
The remark is that an OPEN statement (with the IOSTAT parameter defined) should never crash unless the memory was corrupted.
Undoubtedly such a case would be caught by the Microsoft C++ compiler.  

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Here is the error reported.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>>FILDBG (CHARACTER string) and FILDBGNUM (INTEGER) are MODULE level variables.

I do not see USE YourModuleName in the subroutine, nor do I see IMPLICIT NONE, therefore FILDBG, FILDBGNUM, ... are local implicit variables (undefined by the way).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

The module where the SUBROUTINE lies is INPUTOUTPUTFILE.  Within the module are the following definitions:

USE IFPORT, ONLY : MAXPATH
IMPLICIT NONE
CHARACTER (LEN = MAXPATH), PRIVATE :: FILIN
CHARACTER (LEN = MAXPATH), PRIVATE :: FILDBG ! *.dbg
INTEGER, PUBLIC, PARAMETER :: FILDBGNUM = 21

PRIVATE OPEN_DEBUG_FILE

Hope this clarifies.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Something is very weird here. The normal "file not found" error is 29, not 602, and the message includes the unit number and the name of the file it tried to open.

Can you put together a small, self-contained example that demonstrates the problem?

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

The first thing I'd try is putting a line like this ahead of the OPEN statement:

FILDBG = 'test'

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is a discrepancy between the rather incomplete error reports in this thread and the full expansion of Error 602. The online documentation of the error, which you can see at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/691978, is

severe (602): File not found

FOR$IOS_F6416. An OPEN statement specified STATUS='OLD' for a specified file or a directory path that does not exist.
If that error was triggered by an OPEN statement with STATUS='REPLACE', that would definitely be a  bug. On the other hand, it should in that case be easy to create a short reproducer that is not restricted by considerations of protecting proprietary source code.
0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

By stripping out most everything from the base code, I have created a reproducer.  Attached is the code.

One BIG caveat here.  I have been running the application (Visual Studio 2017) as administrator.  IF I DO NOT DO THIS, THE APP RUNS FINE.

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

It would help if you provided a command line to execute this program.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The main program in the "reproducer" has no executable statements. How are any of the OPEN statements in the subroutines ever reached?

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

"The main program in the "reproducer" has no executable statements. How are any of the OPEN statements in the subroutines ever reached?"

I was wondering about that, but thought it was probably just my ignorance of Windozy Fortran.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

The executable is QuickWin.  The file open is happening as part of the INITIALSETTINGS FUNCTION call.  No executable statements necessary.

Typical command line arguments are

0 0 "File_name"

I had this in the Debug command from Visual Studio.  I assumed that was saved with the project, but I guess not.  I suppose I should have saved my own user settings.

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

I created a text file called zzz.dbg containing a few text lines.  When I invoke the program from the command line like this:

reproducer 0 0 zzz.dbg

or like this

reproducer 0 0 "zzz.dbg"

it immediately terminates with exit code 0.  No window is displayed.  The behaviour is the same with Debug and Release builds.  Is this what is expected?

By the way I have a very old version of Intel Fortran, 11.0.075.

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

The program needs 4 arguments, not 3.  With:

reproducer 0 0 zzz.dbg 0

a window is opened.  If I write FILDBG to a log file, just before the OPEN statement in OPEN_DEBUG_FILE(), I see the correct file name in the log file.  zzz.dbg is replaced as expected (it becomes an empty file.)

Presumably this is the desired behaviour.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Sorry about that.  Yes, there are four command line arguments.  I stripped out so much from the original that I lost track of the last CL argument.

Again, when I run it using Visual Studio 2017 run "As Administrator" I get the enclosed crash.  I am running the file in Debug mode with 4 CL arguments input with the VS IDE.  If I run it in the same manner, but using Visual Studio 2017 not being run "As Administrator" the code runs precisely as you are seeing.

Somehow invoking the Visual Studio 2017 application as administrator, which then prompts you with a dialog saying, in essence, "Are you sure you want to manipulate the inner workings of this PC?" which you must OK, then causes the file OPEN crash.  I guess this setting is making the OPEN call behave as if its STATUS = 'OLD'.

These are wild guesses on my part.  The need to run VS 2017 as administrator is coming in my current development path.  This stumbling block is unacceptable.

0 Kudos