Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Floating License Checkout

Mitchell__Adrian
Beginner

I work in a small team that part-time maintains a legacy Fortran/C++ project.  We currently use Named-User Parallel Studio XE and develop in Visual Studio.  We're considering moving to Roaming licenses, but I can't find a clear answer on when Visual Studio would check out the compiler license.  It would make sense for it to be just during compile time, but I wouldn't be surprised if VS checked it out when the first IDE instance launched for a given user.  Other users have posed similar questions but I haven't seen a definitive answer.  Anyone have any first-hand experience with this?

Bonus points - if the license is checked out at compile-time, does anyone know if the license checkout requests are queue-able such that when a user completes his/her compiling, the next user's job begins automatically?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi Adrian, my experience is, that the license is checked out only at compile time i.e. only when ifort/fortcom is called. Editing in VS IDE blocks no Intel PSXE licenses.

Further, if the license is blocked the compiler waits a certain time before it complains, that there is no license. That's also the case if the license server/manager is down or does not anwer immediatly. I guess, that the time-out time can be configured. I don't know whether this works like a queuing system.

Hopefully the Intel team will give you are more verbose answer. Maybe, you have to open a support ticket for this.

BR, Johannes