Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Format Specifiers in Fortran Project in Visual Studio 2015

matthew_bernardnrc_g

I recently upgraded my development environment  from MSVS 2010 with the Intel Fortran 2013 compiler to MSVS 2015 with the Intel 2016 Fortran compiler and was trying to use some functionality to debug my code that doesn't seem to be working with my new setup. Under the old MSVS 2010 environment, if I wanted to view a watch variable with a different format I could use the format specifiers that were built into Visual Studio. For example, if I wanted to view a real variable as a hex number in the watch window I would type "my_var,x" and the value displayed for my_var would properly display as a hex value. In MSVS 2015, when I type the equivalent string I get a syntax error. The functionality still appears to be present when I search the MSDN forums (Relevant Link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75w45ekt(v=vs.140).aspx) but I can't seem to get to work in my project. Am I missing something or has this feature been abandoned?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Søren_L_
Beginner

I'm having the same problem and would also like more information.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, we'll investigate.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This feature seems to have been dropped from the VS2012 and newer support (the debug support had to be rewritten for VS2012). It still works in VS2010. I have asked the developers to restore the functionality in the newer VS versions. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I missed that this had been reported before - the older issue ID is DPD200247916. The developers tell me that they are working to restore the feature in the major release scheduled for the second half of this year.

0 Kudos