Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28666 Discussions

Fortran 9.1 Debugger - Expression evaluation problems

abueno3
Beginner
I have re-installed Intel Fortran 9.1. When in debug mode I can have the program stop at set breakpoints, but I cannot query any variables by moving the pointer to it or right-clicking and choosing "Quick_watch" or "Add_watch". I can only find the current value if I type the name of the variable in CAPITAL letters in the "Watch list". I write code typically in lower case. Before re-installing I had no problems. The debugger seems to be in some sort of case-sensitive mode (?). As anyone experienced this problem, and how was it solved?

Thanks,
Alejandro Bueno
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It sounds to me as if the Fortran Expression Evaluator did not install or load properly. When you view the Locals window, do the types show as Fortran types or as C types?

It's been a long time since I used 9.1. You may want to start out with an uninstall and reinstall of Fortran.
0 Kudos
abueno3
Beginner
I did re-install; twice in fact. I had re-intalled in the first place because I had a severe crash and, after that, I was having problems attaching the debugger to the Visual Studio solution. I re-installed Visual Studio and Fortran, in that order. When I run a solution written in C++ I have no problems, it only happens when I run Fortran code.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please answer the questions about the appearance of the Locals window.
0 Kudos
abueno3
Beginner
They show as C type (float, long ).

Thnaks,
Alejandro
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Then the Fortran expression evaluator is not being loaded. Which VS version are you using?
0 Kudos
abueno3
Beginner
Visual Studio .NET 2003 + SP 1

Thanks,
Alejandro
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Open the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Packages\Debugger.
Right click on each of the following files, select Properties, Version. What is the "File Version" of each of these?

CppEE.dll
ForDbgEE.dll
ForDbgSW.dll
NatDbgEE.dll
0 Kudos
abueno3
Beginner
The file versions are:

CppEE.dll = 7.10.6030.0
ForDbgEE.dll = 9.1.3382.2003
ForDbgSW.dll = 9.1.3382.2003
NatDbgEE.dll = 7.10.6030.0

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok, try this:

Open the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Packages\Debugger (this assumes a default installation - ifyou installed somewhere else modify the path appropriately.

First, select the following files and make a copy of them in the folder (right click, drag, copy)
NatDbgEE.dll
CppEE.dll
ForDbgSw.dll

Exit Visual Studio

Now, if CppEE.dll existed, delete it. Rename NatDbgEE.dll to be CppEE.dll
Rename ForDbgSW.dll to be NatDbgEE.dll

Please let me know, if this solves your problem.

0 Kudos
abueno3
Beginner
Steve,

It worked! I don't understand why. Any hints?

Thanks,
Alejandro
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The process of integrating the Fortran debugger into VS2003 specifically requires a complicated "dance" of reshuffling DLLs. Sometimes this doesn't happen just right and it leaves you in a state where the install has "two left feet" and can't put things right. As of VS2005, the dance is not required and we don't have this problem.
0 Kudos