Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran Command Line Options Changes

bjdesa
New Contributor I

When was  /real_size:64  switched to /real-size:64 and has it now been discontinued 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Well, it is still mentioned in the documentation for Intel Fortran 2019, in a slightly different form. I do not know about the changes you mention.

However, relying on a compile option for something like that is considered rather bad practice, certainly given that Fortran has a very nice feature to achieve a different precision via its KIND mechanism.

0 Kudos
bjdesa
New Contributor I

Could you tell me what the "a slightly different form" is? I totally agree with the bad practice part

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

My apologies, I mixed up the Linux and the Windows options - see https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/fortran-compiler-developer-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-reference/compiler-options/compiler-option-details/data-options/real-size.html

On Linux it is "-real-size number" and on Windows it is "/real-size:number" - I saw the version without the colon lower in the document and did not look hard enough at the Windows version.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It hasn't switched as far as I can tell. The documented form is real-size with a hyphen, but the compiler tends to accept an underscore for many of these options as an alternative. At least on Windows, the 19.1 compiler still takes both.

D:\Projects>ifort /c /real_size:64 t.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.1.216 Build 20200306
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\Projects>ifort /c /real-size:64 t.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.1.216 Build 20200306
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\Projects>

I agree that it is bad practice to use this option, but it is there.

0 Kudos