Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26747 Discussions

Fortran DLL inside VBA, 64bit vs 32bit

Lorenzo_W_
Beginner

I'm writing a Fortran DLL that has to bread by several tools, including Excel, so I'm writing an Excel extension (.xla).

Until now, I am able to correctly work with 32bit version of Excel but now I would like to write something compatible with both versions of Excel.

This is a working 32bit example (FORTRAN):

module my_module
contains
    subroutine div_num(A,B,C,ierr,errstring)! bind(c, name='div_num')
        !!============================================================================================  
        !! ** Division of two numbers: C = A/B **  
        !!INPUT : A, B  
        !!OUTPUT: C  
        !!============================================================================================  
        !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT, STDCALL, REFERENCE, ALIAS:"div_num" :: div_num
        implicit none
        real*8             , intent(in)    :: A                !! First number  
        real*8             , intent(in)    :: B                !! Second number  
        real*8             , intent(out)   :: C                !! Result  
        logical            , intent(out)   :: ierr             !! Logical stating if there is an error  
        character(256)     , intent(out)   :: errstring        !! String containing the error  
        !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES REFERENCE :: A,B,C,ierr,errstring
        !------------------------------------------------------------------------
        if (B .EQ. 0.0d0) then
            ierr = .TRUE.
        else
            ierr = .FALSE.
        endif
        !
        if (ierr) then
            C = -1.0d6
            errstring = "Error: you can't divide by zero!"
            return
        else
            C = A/B
            errstring = ""
        endif
        !
    end subroutine div_num
end module my_module

VBA :

Option Explicit
Option Base 1
'
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Common declarations
Dim ierr            As Boolean
Dim errstring       As String * 256
'
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Lettura dll
#If Win64 Then
    Declare PtrSafe Sub div_num Lib "S:\Winchler_Lorenzo\testDLL_x64_Debug.dll" (A As Double, B As Double, C As Double, ierr As Boolean, ByVal errstring As String)
#Else
    Declare Sub div_num Lib "S:\Winchler_Lorenzo\testDLL_Win32_Debug.dll" (A As Double, B As Double, C As Double, ierr As Boolean, ByVal errstring As String)
#End If

Public Function VBA_div(x1 As Double, x2 As Double) As Double
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Division of two numbers
    '
    ' INPUTS:
    ' - x1:                 first number
    ' - x2:                 second number
    '
    ' OUTPUTS:
    ' - VBA_div:        division between the numbers
    '---------
    ' declarations
    Dim xOUT            As Double
    '---------
    '
    Call div_num(x1, x2, xOUT, ierr, errstring)
    '
    VBA_div = xOUT
    '
End Function

The only modification I made inside VBA is the "PtrSafe" declaration, but it's not working inside 64bit Excel. Obviously I am pointing at the right dll, differently for the 32-64bit case.

The documentation provides the example only for 32bit case, and I don't know what I have to change to make the dll work inside 64bit Excel.

Thank you for your help

Lorenzo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
avinashs
New Contributor I

I have struggled with using Fortran DLLs in 64-bit Office too. I have a few comments that may help based on my experience but not a complete solution. I am hoping this will be resolved although it is really a Microsoft Office problem as well.

Comments:

1. Microsoft recommends using 32-bit Office unless the memory requirements exceed 2 GB (more than enough for many applications).
2. Microsoft also cautions that VBA code that contains the Declare Sub or Declare Function may not work with 64-bit across the board without error. Hence, stick to 32-bit. This tells me that have identified some problems too.
3. You may have to include some new declarations such as LongLong, LongPtr and PtrSafe for certain data types. I am not sure how they map to Fortran data types.
4. The API function CopyMemory has trouble in 64-bit with variables passed through the DLL. This appears to be a problem faced by many developers for DLLs created in other languages as well (C,C++).
5. For 64-bit, I build the IVF dll in Release x64 configuration with /iface:cvf option and libs:static. In fact, even in 32-bit, only that configuration works in all cases.
6. I have trouble with the VBA directives #Win64 etc. in 64-bit. The interpreter does not allow declaring a sub without PtrSafe even for the 32-bit case. In particular, the Microsoft recommended method in the following pseudocode results in errors.

#if Vba7 then 
	'  Code is running in the new VBA7 editor 
		 #if Win64 then 
		 '  Code is running in 64-bit version of Microsoft Office 
		 #else 
		 '  Code is running in 32-bit version of Microsoft Office 
		 #end if 
	#else 
	' Code is running in VBA version 6 or earlier 
	#end if 

#If Vba7 Then 
		Declare PtrSafe Sub ... 
	#Else 
		Declare Sub ... 
	#EndIf

View solution in original post

2 Replies
avinashs
New Contributor I

I have struggled with using Fortran DLLs in 64-bit Office too. I have a few comments that may help based on my experience but not a complete solution. I am hoping this will be resolved although it is really a Microsoft Office problem as well.

Comments:

1. Microsoft recommends using 32-bit Office unless the memory requirements exceed 2 GB (more than enough for many applications).
2. Microsoft also cautions that VBA code that contains the Declare Sub or Declare Function may not work with 64-bit across the board without error. Hence, stick to 32-bit. This tells me that have identified some problems too.
3. You may have to include some new declarations such as LongLong, LongPtr and PtrSafe for certain data types. I am not sure how they map to Fortran data types.
4. The API function CopyMemory has trouble in 64-bit with variables passed through the DLL. This appears to be a problem faced by many developers for DLLs created in other languages as well (C,C++).
5. For 64-bit, I build the IVF dll in Release x64 configuration with /iface:cvf option and libs:static. In fact, even in 32-bit, only that configuration works in all cases.
6. I have trouble with the VBA directives #Win64 etc. in 64-bit. The interpreter does not allow declaring a sub without PtrSafe even for the 32-bit case. In particular, the Microsoft recommended method in the following pseudocode results in errors.

#if Vba7 then 
		 #if Win64 then 
		 #else 
		 #end if 
	#else 
	#end if 

#If Vba7 Then 
		Declare PtrSafe Sub ... 
	#Else 
		Declare Sub ... 
	#EndIf

View solution in original post

Lorenzo_W_
Beginner

avinashs wrote:

Comments:

#if Vba7 then 
		 #if Win64 then 
		 #else 
		 #end if 
	#else 
	#end if 

#If Vba7 Then 
		Declare PtrSafe Sub ... 
	#Else 
		Declare Sub ... 
	#EndIf

Thank you for your comments!
Compiling the dll with "/iface:cvf" and "/libs:static" as you suggested me, works like a charm!!!

Regarding the Long/LongPtr: this modification is needed only if your argument is returning a pointer or a location. If it's "just" an integer value, you can leave "Long".

Thank you so much

Lorenzo