Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28384 Discussions

Fortran Help and Windows API help not integrated into VS2019

TonyRichards
Novice

I have downloaded the OneAPI Fortran HTML Help as recommended from

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/develop/external/us/en/documents/oneapi_fortran_compiler-f1help.zip.

I have unzipped the files into the directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.4.0\windows\documentation\en\compiler_f

as recommended.

I have restarted VS2019 several times.

There is no response to F1.

There is no response when in VS2019 I  select

Help...Intel Compilers and Libraries...Intel Visual Fortran Compiler.

I get a response when choosing Math Kernel Library, Integrated Performance primitives etc.

Also Intel C++ compiler.

All the HTML and HTM files are there, including the Index and everything, but apparently VS2019 knows nothing about them.

There must be a way to integrate the help into VS2019, but just unzipping the files into the recommended directory appears not to be enough.

Please advise anyone?

regards

Anthony Richards

p.s And PLEASE do not ask me to uninstall VS2019 and OneAPI etc and reinstall, as that smacks of telling me to knock down and rebuild the hospital when the ambulances have gone missing!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I just followed these instructions and they worked -- PS -- I did not know this before, thanks.  Almost as good as the Fortran manual on your desk. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/guide/download-documentation-intel-compiler-current-and-previous.html 

So I am no help.  Did you get the 2021.4 ones? 

Did not work in 2017 at all. 

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

I have both the Intel OneAPI compilers and the previous generation compilers and the "Help" sends me to the "old" compilers, for example below for "Help->Intel Compilers...->...FORTRAN" So I think there might be some issues with how the Help is connected up.

I would have expected that after installing OneAPI, the help would point to the "new" Help.

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/IntelSWTools/documentation_2020/en/compiler_f/ps2020/get_started_wf.htm

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel
Do you have the latest or newer compiler loaded when trying to access latest Help documentation?
0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Not sure what you mean by "loaded", the latest Intel OneAPI (Base+HPC) compilers are installed along with Visual Studio 2019 integration. The OneAPI FORTRAN compiler is 2021.3

It's seems because I have the "old" Parallel Studio compilers installed previously, the "Help" links are stuck on the old version.

0 Kudos
TonyRichards
Novice

I have religiously copied the recommended the zipped Help files package to both the recommended folders i.e.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.4.0\windows\documentation\en\compiler_f.

I have unzipped the help files into those folders.

The help files are for the Fortran compilers (plural).see image.

I have closed and restarted VS2019.

There is no help.

Clearly at least one or more registry entries is missing that will fill the hole that VS2019 is looking in for the help files.

I just need the appropriate registry edits I think.

Does anyone know if there Is a batch file that will make the appropriate registry changes and get things on track?

regards

Anthony Richards

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

There is an option in Visual Studio Installer to Repair VS - try this.

0 Kudos