Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Fortran Intellisense in VS 2022 professional

Daniel_Bello
Beginner

Hi everyone, is possible to enable fortran intellisense in VS professional 2022? Or I have to use VS code?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Carrey_Young
Novice

I am also trying to seek a solution to this problem, to code without intellisense is really tiring and time-consuming!

0 Kudos
Carrey_Young
Novice

I really hope that someone can give an exact answer to this question, even if the answer is it's actually impossible to use Fortran Intellisense in VS2022.

ಥ_ಥ

Then I can feel relieved and rest assured to spend much time in configuring an IDE in VSCode~

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

It is not possible.  Even the "Find all references" and "Goto definition" don't work. Its about as good as notepad. Good luck configuring VSCode. I hope it works.

Carrey_Young
Novice
0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor III

@Carrey_Young ,

You are absolutely right to feel that "to code without intellisense is really tiring and time-consuming".  So then, I suggest you note intently the following:

1. No meaningful updates have been to Fortran integration with Visual Studio IDE in over 12-15 years beyond a few bugfixes around watch variables in the debugger.  There is no indication of anything appreciable that the Intel software management can or will invest in and offer to Fortran customers.   Thus the Intel Fortran customers are pretty much stuck FOREVER with the programming experience in Visual Studio that is not that different from that of a C programmer with Visual Studio 6.0 circa 1997.  This in the unfortunate reality and there is NOT enough money and resources to change anything for Fortranners in the Visual Studio+Intel Fortran on Windows space.  The sooner and more firmly the coders realize and react to this reality the better.
  2. Now, moving to VSCode, you may be familiar with this: Modern Fortran - Visual Studio Marketplace.  But now, whatever creature comfort is there to be attained on Fortran programming will be based on such plug-ins developed by FOSS volunteers: it may work today, not tomorrow; it may offer a few good features today but may fail to keep up with the times; bugs may or may not get fixed.  Caveat emptor.
Carrey_Young
Novice

Thank you for your detailed answer! I will try to conquer this, maybe coding primarily in VSCode and then modifying slightly in VS is a doable solution. Thank you for your time again!

0 Kudos