Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran compiler in docker image

Stainer__Thomas
Beginner

Is it possible to have a version of the ifort compiler inside a docker image which then hosted on Docker Hub? 

Would there be any issues with having the compiler on Docker Hub (public) even if no license was in the image?

Does this require a special license?

This would specifically be for Docker images with ubuntu and other linux derivations.

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

Hi Tom,

This is being discussed internally.  The current licensing mechanism is not friendly to Docker containers.

I will post an update, once I know more information.

Thank you,

Eugene

0 Kudos
Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

Hello,

If anyone else would like to have this capability, please reply to this thread.  It'll help us to gauge the demand.

Thank you,

Eugene

0 Kudos
René_M_
Beginner

My research group would very much like this too

0 Kudos
michael_b_21
Beginner

We haven't heard back.  Is there any progress on this?

In our use case, I was not planning on installing the intel compiler in the Docker container, but rather do a virtual mount of the directory into the docker container (i.e. docker -v /opt/intel:/opt/intel ...), but the license that is valid on the host does not seem to be valid in the Docker container.

Do you have any advise on this?  Is this approach possible?  I would like to use the license of the host operating system where this container is running.

This is for an academic research project comparing GCC, Clang and Intel for performance and computational reproducibility.

0 Kudos
CSlat2
Beginner

We are still interested in this ... likely a MSVS and Intel container. As part of a continuous integration server i.e. Jenkins

0 Kudos
Stainer__Thomas
Beginner

Hi Eugene,

Has there been any progress made on this? It has been over 8 months since my first post!

We are really in need of this!

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
heuer__michael
Beginner

We are also strongly interested in this as well! 

Please support this as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
DUDYALA__VENKATA_SAT

Hi All,

Does anyone have done distributed intel libraries inside a different docker containers ?

We are planning to create very less size of docker image. If i do full installation of intel then the size of image is becoming too big. So, to reduce image size we need help to understand is it possible to setup intel libraries in distributed mode 

If anyone have idea. Please share your inputs.

Regards,

Karthick

0 Kudos
James_S_9
Beginner

We are interested in having docker images of the intel toolchain available.

0 Kudos
Karel_vd_Plassche

Our group and partners would also be very interested in this.

0 Kudos
Matías_M_
Beginner

We are also very much interested in this. Also just having Linux runtime in Docker would be great.

0 Kudos
Carr__Ian
Beginner

Are there any updates on this? We’d like to be able to compile fortran code in a container as well. 

0 Kudos
zhang__rui
Beginner

I am interested in this too. Then, if possible, which day?

0 Kudos