Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Fortran internal compiler error: OpenMP parallel if clause

EdwardSmyth
Beginner

Hello,

I've found an internal compiler error in ifort version 2021.4.0, and I've attached a program that demonstrates the problem. This can be compiled with ifort -c -qopenmp openmp_error.f90. The internal compiler error is caused by the if clause on the OpenMP parallel directive, and occurs when it is checking two variables (with .And. or .Or.). It doesn't matter that the variables are arguments, the error still occurs if local variables are used. This error did not occur with ifort version 2021.2.0 or earlier.

The full error message is:

04010002_15113

openmp_error.f90(12): catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for openmp_error.f90 (code 1)

Thanks,

Edward

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

Thanks for reporting this and making such a nice reproducer.

I have good news for you! I checked an internal compiler that is destined to be the next version of ifort. No ICE (internal compiler error)! Look for this version to be released before the end of the calendar year 2021.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Thanks for reporting this and making such a nice reproducer.

I have good news for you! I checked an internal compiler that is destined to be the next version of ifort. No ICE (internal compiler error)! Look for this version to be released before the end of the calendar year 2021.

0 Kudos
EdwardSmyth
Beginner

Hi Barbara,

That's great news, thanks for testing this and letting me know.

Best regards,

Edward

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The version of the compiler with the fix for the internal compiler error is now available in the oneAPI 2022.1 release. Please check it out!

0 Kudos
EdwardSmyth
Beginner

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for following up. I've tried the compiler in the 2022.1 release, and it solved the problem.

Best regards,

Edward

0 Kudos