Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Forum gripes

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Two new gripes for the forum web master.

1) At the top of the pagw where you have tabs "App Development", "Intel(R) Platform Development",...
The bottom of the tab extends benieth the visualization of the tab, thus encroaching upon the space allotted for the level navigation "Home >> xxx >> yyy"
This causes an unwanted drop-down to occur.

2) It used to be you could look at a post, use mouse to select and copy (Ctrl-C), then paste into response. Now you cannot do this (it crashes the web page). You can however, paste into Notebook, then copy again, then paste into the forum response edit box.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

2) It used to be you could look at a post, use mouse to select and copy (Ctrl-C), then paste into response. Now you cannot do this (it crashes the web page). You can however, paste into Notebook, then copy again, then paste into the forum response edit box.

I just tried this and no problem.

I will pass on your comment on the tab - this had been bugging me too but I hadn't paid close enough attention to see what was going on.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

RE: 2)

I do not know why this is not exhibiting the problem (web page crash) for you. I should note I can select with mouse, then drag-and-drop OK, but select, Ctrl-C, paste kills the page (or Internet Explorer). Haven't tried this in FireFox.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>> RE: 2)

FireFox works, IE does not.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
John_Campbell
New Contributor II

Can I add another gripe ?

This revised comment box is not friendly with switching off rich-text, while the line feed layout doesn't work well with it enabled.

If I attempt to edit a post, which was entered with rich-text disabled, all line feed information is lost, making minor spelling edits very difficult.

Entering a post with rich-text enabled results in apparent double line feeds for raw text imports.

Oh for the old text box !

John

0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

I still think numbering the posts and the ability to reply to a specific numbered post within a topic was useful.

Les

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Why cann't paste examine the text to be pasted first to see if it is plain old text (e.g. Notepad, EDIT, EDLIN, ...) and if it looks like plain old text then make the CR .or. CRLF .or. LF be line break not paragraph break.
Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The post numbering is on the list already. Yeah, the line feed issue is annoying to me too - I will report that.

0 Kudos
John_Campbell
New Contributor II

This is a forum for windows - Fortran users, while the forum developers appear to assume we are Linux-C or HTML users.
There appears to be a lack of consideration of the skill set of this user community, with this new forum functionality.
This forum appears to be the most active of all Intel software developer forums.
I think that most software developers using this forum would not be allowed these mistakes by their users.

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

John, this is just one of many forums that are at Intel Developer Zone, though it is by far the most active. I doubt that the issue is Linux/C usage. Please be assured that I and many of my colleagues are pushing these issues to the IDZ developers and getting solutions. It is taking longer than I'd like, but I do see progress.

0 Kudos
John_Campbell
New Contributor II

Steve,

The surprise is how the forum operation has changed.
Rather than identifying problems with the past forum and improving them, we have been provided with an alternative forum, where a number of useful features of the old forum, identified by users, have been removed.
The typical upgrade to a software package is to improve on what was there before, not start again and ignore the functionality that was there before. It is like providing a new Version 2014 of Visual Fortran, where all the non standard conforming features are removed and a new set provided.
After months, there is still minimam response to requests to return some well identified features.

Intel sells software solutions and the approach taken with this forum replacement does not reflect well on the other solutions you sell.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
John, I am with you 100%. This does not reflect how we develop our products. I will relay your concerns to our management.
0 Kudos
John_Campbell
New Contributor II

Today's DZ version of the forum is not working well with my internet explorer Ver 9.0.
Screen views are locking and layouts appear messed up

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

"Locking"?  I do know that the display is bad in all browsers - that is being worked on now.

0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner

So far -- today -- it's worse!

0 Kudos
John_Campbell
New Contributor II

Steve,

The operation has changed in the last 24 hours.
The latest posts by Linda and myself have the date/time layout misplaced.
Yesterday, I tried to edit a post, with responses including:
 everything hanging and the edit window not showing up or
  the comment box being filled with a message : unable to connect to the internet address.
Now, this message screen is still messed up, like my earlier screen shot.

This is a new version of the forum but does not appear to work well with Windows 7/64 and IE 9. I'm not sure what else.  (or something else has changed ?)

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It is not related to the browser or OS - there's a problem in the forum itself. The slowness and hanging is also a known issue. It is being worked on. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos