Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

GDB (intel) : print works but not info address

pDs
Beginner

The tree is as follows

module M
        type A
          real     , allocatable :: dd (:)
        end type A

type B 
          type (A) , pointer :: aa
        end type B

type C
         type(B) , pointer :: bb
        end type C

type(C) , allocatable :: cc(:)

end module M

In gdb:

print M::cc(10) % bb % aa % dd(100) 
    $1 = 0

However, 

info address M::cc(10) % bb % aa % dd (100) 

generates the error: No symbol "cc(10) % bb % aa% dd (100)" in current context.

whatis address M::cc(10) % bb % aa% dd(100)

generates the error: Cannot access memory at address 0xa0

I see that the compiler flag "-g" has to be specified to access global variables but that didn't help.

The reason I need the address is to `watch M::cc(10) %bb % aa % dd (100)` with a software watchpoint so that I don't slow gdb drastically. I'm hoping that this would give me insight into the lines of code which change the value of `dd (100)`. 

One option that I've already explored is to just go ahead and set the watch point with: 

watch c(10) % bb % aa % dd ( 100 ) 

But this results in several hundred watchpoints with Numbers 1.1 , 1.2, 1.3 .... 1.500! This is really slowing down the execution in gdb.

So how could I access the address? If that is not possible, what is the best alternative?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ron_Green

was this with the system gdb or the Intel provide gdb with fortran enhancements?   In other words, is this when using gdb-ia instead of gdb?

pDs
Beginner

Hey Ronald, 

This is gdb-ia.

In another module, I had 

module test

real            :: a, b, c

end module

and gdb-ia couldn't find them when I tried accessing by "print test::a". However, 

module test

real            :: a=0, b=0, c=0

end module

changes that and I'm able to "print test::a" to display the value (not necessary 0 as a is read form a file later). This led me to believe that gdb-ia is able to access statically allocated variables/arrays. For dynamic allocation, I seem to have trouble.

Best Regards,
Pranav