Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Get path to "My Documents" folder

Jacob_Williams
New Contributor II

Does anyone have a nice way to get the path the user's "My Documents" directory from Intel Fortran?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor II

More information: My application includes an installer project in Visual Studio 2010.  Basically, I want to have the installer create a directory to put examples and scratch files in that the application will use.  In the application, when the user wants to open a file, this is the directory I want to be the default that they are taken to.  I can make the installer install the files using the "User's Personal Data" item in the file system tree.  However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the application to know where this is located.  I can get the location of the user's home directory with the "USERPROFILE" environment variable, but there doesn't seem to be an environment variable for the user's documents folder.  I'd like a nice way to do this that works on Windows 7 and beyond (XP is a plus, but not required), that doesn't require me hard-coding what the directory is called (which may vary from system to system).

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor III

See the SHGetFolderPath API and its friends, and query the path location for CSIDL_PERSONAL.

0 Kudos
nvaneck
New Contributor I
CALL GET_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE ('USERPROFILE', DATA, LEN_DATA, IO_STATUS, .TRUE.)
0 Kudos
Anthony_Richards
New Contributor I

For a full list of CSIDL values useable by SHGetFolderPath see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/bb762494%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

There you can see that CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS is the same as CSIDL_PERSONAL

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

All of these CSIDL values are available through the XSystemPath function in the Xeffort library, if you want to avoid working with the API directly.

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor II

Thanks all!  My solution is below.  It seems to work (note that it requires linking with shell32.lib).  Not sure if there is a better way to deal with the C string?

program test

use iso_c_binding
    use kernel32
    use ifwinty    

implicit none

integer :: i
    integer(handle) :: hresult
    character(len=1),dimension(256) :: tmpstr
    character(len=:),allocatable :: MyDocumentsDir

integer(HANDLE),parameter :: CSIDL_PERSONAL = 5    !from Shlobj.h

interface
        function SHGetFolderPathA(hwndOwner,nFolder,hToken,dwFlags,pszPath)
        !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DEFAULT, STDCALL, DECORATE, ALIAS:'SHGetFolderPathA' :: SHGetFolderPathA
            import 
            implicit none
            integer(HANDLE) :: SHGetFolderPathA
            integer(HANDLE),value :: hwndOwner
            integer(c_int),value :: nFolder
            integer(HANDLE),value :: hToken
            integer(DWORD),value :: dwFlags
            character(kind=C_CHAR) :: pszPath(*)
        end function SHGetFolderPathA
    end interface

hresult = SHGetFolderPathA( hwndOwner= NULL, &
                                nFolder  = CSIDL_PERSONAL,&
                                hToken   = NULL,&
                                dwFlags  = 0,&
                                pszPath  = tmpstr)

write(*,*) 'hresult=',hresult

if (hresult==0) then
        !convert array to character string:
        MyDocumentsDir = ''
        do i=1,size(tmpstr)
            if (tmpstr(i)/=C_NULL_CHAR) then
                MyDocumentsDir = MyDocumentsDir//tmpstr(i)
            else
                exit
            end if
        end do
        write(*,*) 'MyDocumentsDir: '//MyDocumentsDir
    else
        write(*,*) 'Error'
    end if

end program test

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

Given that it is the ANSI version you have interfaced to why not make the interface more Fortran friendly by having 

character(len=*) :: pszPath

And then you can get MyDocumentsDir direct from the call without the string array copy? If you wanted the position of the first C_NULL_CHAR you could use INDEX.  Also add !DEC$OBJCOMMENT LIB:"SHELL32.LIB" perhaps.

@Intel is there any plans to add any new APIs to the IFWIN interfaces? There are many missing ones. I note the shell32 interfaces have not been added since 2000. It is after all Visual Fortran for WINDOWS!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

app4619, yes, we do plan to add APIs. It's a time-consuming process, though. I'll take a look at shell32.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

@Jacob 

You might note that SHGetFolderPath is supperceded SHGetKnownFolderPath which had more options. Also:

You have the function return value as type handle, HRESULT would be better  with ifwinty type LONG (4 bytes) your code should fail on x64 as it will be 8 bytes.

I also note the use of VALUE attribute. This is default for stdcall except for arrays and type character in my understanding.

@steve thanks. Some updates would be appreciated. I know it is time consuming, it consumes some of my time!

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions!  I did look at SHGetKnownFolderPath, but wasn't sure about the Fortran bindings for the REFKNOWNFOLDERID argument.  I might revisit it later.

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor II

Steve, WinINet.lib would also be a good one to have.

0 Kudos