Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Help system and 11.1

David_DiLaura1
What's happened to the help system with 11.1? A context-driven hit of the F1 key brings up the MS document explorer. Worse, when I'm using VTune, the context sensitive help no longer works at all -- I just get the splash page of the VTune documentation. It isn't clear why the 11.1 interface with VS should affect VTune help, but it does. Any suggestions?

David
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
There is aproblem with the IVF 11.1 help system that's been discussed in earlier threads. It affects accessing IVF documentation from the Help menu and F1 context help.

Reviewthis thread (here). Perhaps IanH'ssolution can help, or the work around discussed in the knowledge base article (here)
0 Kudos
bmchenry
New Contributor II
This issue appears to have returned...
I've had no problems/issues with the help file system on VS2008 and 11.1, Win XP,
However, on the latest update, 11.1.065, (11.1.3471.2008) my help file went into the endless loop
Help File Update in Progress
and when i tried to kill it gave the ambiiguous 'continue to wait' or 'go to nowhere'
(NOTE: couldn't they have a simpleCANCEL button!)
Then I had to dothe stupid pet tricks to close it out (kill 2 or so versions of dexplore.exe and dumprep.exe it closed)
i had let it run through full game of cricket on thedart board...>15 min or so.
(I thought...let me let it do its thing...but it didn't)
The message which did comeup another time (i made mistake of hitting it again at some later time) was
"External Help is not available because Microsoft Document Explorer is not installed. To view Help, change your help preferences to use the integrated Help Viewer or Install Microsoft Document Explorer"

This may be related to my kill of dexplorer to cancel the endless loop.
Rather than fight the fight, Isimply have installed a shortcut to the chm file
...INTEL\Compiler\11.1\065\Documentation\en_US\compiler_f\main_for.chm

Just posting this notice up that something in the latest update is back messing with the Help file system

Brian
0 Kudos
Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I
FWIW, my 11.1.065 update (WinXP, 32bit, VS2008) required an additional installation step to enable the help which is not part of the automatic update of the VS integrations.

From the main VS top-bar menu, select Help --> IVF Compiler Pro --> IVF Compiler Help. The first time this is selected, a progressbar shows "Help is being updated", which on my machine took about 1 minute, following which the Fortran help works perfectly, F1 links to keywords, etc.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You should be used to seeing that message - it happens automatically the first time you access help after it is updated. It is not new.
0 Kudos
bmchenry
New Contributor II
Yes i know. However with the latest update, no matter how i start the 'help system update'it doesn't go away. It just hangs.
It may be my system.
I have a 'clean' backup system and i'll try the updateon.\ to see if its due to my development system
This development system has had some issues, and a newer/faster/better system is on order.
0 Kudos