Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Hidden ".u2d" project files?

Brian_Francis
Beginner

I've just noticed that Developer Studio 2005 is creating a hidden empty".u2d" file matching my Fortran project name when I exit Studio. Perhaps it's been doing this for a while, but I hadn't noticed before now. I wouldn't normally worry about this except that we do have our own u2d.exe utility that is used in some custom build rules and I wanted to make sure nothing was broken.

As a test, I created a new install of Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows Version 10 on a clean machine (no Visual C, no SCM...), then created a new Windows application and exited without building. I get a hidden ".u2d" file matching the project name. This file timestamp is updated each time we exit the project.

So, now I know it isn't something we're doing, but we lost a day fooling around trying to figure out what we were looking at. Does anybody know what the ".u2d" file does?

Thanks,

Brian.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can find out from the developers, but it seems to contain names of configurations and the "VF" tools used in them. You can safely ignore these and they will get recreated as needed. Visual Studio has similar .suo files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can find out from the developers, but it seems to contain names of configurations and the "VF" tools used in them. You can safely ignore these and they will get recreated as needed. Visual Studio has similar .suo files.

0 Kudos
Brian_Francis
Beginner

Thanks Steve.

For some reason mine are empty. But I'm quite happy to ignore them now that I know they're supposed to be there.

Perhaps the documentation team can add a note about these files in the same way that Visual Studio includes a description of the .suo files?

Regards,

Brian.

0 Kudos