Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28494 Discussions

How To Resolve Error 53 File Not Found

ddm1
Beginner

Are there any known issues with VS Community 19 Version 16.11.27 ?

I am having trouble creating a DLL from Fortran code where I have successfully created an EXE.

I get error 53 File Not Found.

I have created EXE & DLL in the past many times with prior versions of VS. I tried a number of compiler settings to resolve the issue and nothing seems to work.

I am calling the DLL from Visual Basic with MS Excel.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

You have linkage to DLL's that can't be found I think? Is this app built with debug? Are you running inside or outside of VS? 

0 Kudos
ddm1
Beginner

I did NOT build DLL with debug.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

VB gives "Error 53" when it can't load a user DLL. This can be the DLL itself or, more often, a DLL that DLL depends on.  As hinted by @andrew_4619 , your DLL may be built as a Debug configuration, which means it can't be loaded outside of Visual Studio. If that's the case, switch to a Release configuration. This will still depend on Intel Fortran DLLs which will be installed along with the compiler. If you're going to use this on a system where the compiler is not installed, you'll need the Intel Fortran Redistributables installed there. An alternative is to change the DLL project settings to link against static libraries - do this only if there's no other Fortran (or C/C++) in the application.

0 Kudos
ddm1
Beginner

I did NOT build DLL with debug option, I used Release as I have done many times in the past. I am running the DLL on the same machine that I built the DLL.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

In that case, use GitHub - lucasg/Dependencies: A rewrite of the old legacy software "depends.exe" in C# for Windows devs to troubleshoot dll load dependencies issues. to determine what the dependencies of your DLL are. And, of course, verify that you are specifying the correct path to your DLL.

0 Kudos
ddm1
Beginner

I have used "depends.exe" in the past perhaps it will help in this instance. I find the output somewhat cryptic. I will also try the updated version you reference.

0 Kudos
ddm1
Beginner

The picture below is the output from Dependency Walker. I am not sure what to do next to resolve Error 53 File Not Found

ddm1_0-1697451666307.png

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

The screenshot indicates that you are using the old version of dependency walker. Try the one Steve Lionel pointed to. Also something to watch out for: 32-bits versus 64-bits DLLs. I do not know what your VB program but it may very well be a 32-bits version.

0 Kudos
ddm1
Beginner

I thought the old Dependency Walker would provide some meaningful information despite its age. I have not used the newer version yet. the DLL is compiled as 32-bit as intended.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

https://lucasg.github.io/Dependencies/ is the one that works, the old one gets very confused with 32 and 64 bit dlls

0 Kudos
ddm1
Beginner

When I run the link above, I get 

ddm1_0-1697498903299.png

It appears a single file is causing am error, not sure how to fix.

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

That is not a DLL I have ever come across. The message that "we" could not find it anymore is also rather peculiar. Have you searched the Internet for problems concerning this DLL? Or its origin? Perhpas that can give you a clue as to what you should do.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This DLL is a "red herring" - it isn't a problem. See kernel32.dll dependenci ext-ms-win-oobe-query-l1-1-0.dll missing from Windows 10 - Microsoft Q&A and the answer, though it doesn't help with the original problem.

0 Kudos