Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28689 Discussions

How to debug Fortran MPI app in Visual Studio?

zok
Beginner
Hello!
I'm porting a Fortran MPI app to Windows CCS. The code crashes with a stack error. It could be something simple but I tried to debug it in VS and setup a project. The problem is I can't change the default debugger to the MPI debugger. Obviously I need to launch the app using mpiexec. C/C++ projects do have this feature but Intel Fortran projects do not.

Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

Setup: MS CCS 64bit on Xeon 5160, MS VS2005 SP1, MS MPI, Intel Fortran 10 beta
0 Kudos
6 Replies
zok
Beginner
Just an update: I can solve my stack overflow problem by either reserving a huge stack size /F or by using heap instead /heap-arrays:300000. All this was not necessary under Linux though.

However it would be still intersting to know how to go about debugging a Fortran MPI application using MS Visual Studio!
0 Kudos
zok
Beginner
huh, so noone knows if how to debug a Fortran + MPI code in Visual Fortran?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This is not something I have tried. How would you do it in C++?
0 Kudos
steffenk
Beginner

Any news on using the Visual Studio MPI Cluster debugger with Intel Fortran?

Regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos
Rayd
Beginner
Hi all!

After long search on the net and combining bits and pieces of information from different sources I managed to get the MPI Cluster Debugger running with Intel MPI, Intel Fortran Compiler under Visual Studio 2008.
Hopefully the following info will save someone else the trouble of searching for the info:

If you read this thread you might already have noticed that there is no option to debug via the mpi cluster debugger like there is if its a C/C++ Code, if you use the Intel Fortran Compiler Integration for Visual Studio.

The trick to still be able to debug via VS is quite simple. Via File->Add Existing Project select the executable that you MPI Code generated. In the Solution Explorer then Right Click the Exe File - go on Properties and you should see the Debuging Options of this Executable.
Change from local Debugger to MPI Cluster Debugger.

For all the options you have to fill in (MPIShim etc.) just follow regular procedure like with a C Programm - you'll find lots of infos to this on the net - for example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164731.aspx

Cheers
Georg
0 Kudos