Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

How to resolve internal error when compiling existing Fortran solution? (BuildLog.htm reproduced)

Gary_E_
Beginner

I have a Fortran solution which compiled without problem using IVF in MSVS 2010 Professional. Unfortunately I cannot use 2010 anymore to compile due to some IT problem. Instead they have given me MSVS 2008 with IVF. I copied all the files in the existing solution into a new folder and opened up the solution file in 2008. I elected to clean and rebuild the solution.

On rebuild I get the following error (reproduced below from BuildLog.htm) which causes the compilation to abort:

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Build Log

Build started: Project: PROJECT1, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Output

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran 11.1.065 [IA-32]...

ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /iface:mixed_str_len_arg /module:"Debug\\" /object:"Debug\\" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qvc9 /Qlocation,link,"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin"

...\source.f90(472): internal error: Please visit 'http://www.intel.com/software/products/support' for assistance.

ALLOCATE(CHARACTER(LEN=len_trim(InputDatL2(1)))::Ploc)

^

[ Aborting due to internal error. ]

compilation aborted for ...\source.f90 (code 1)

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Any help is much appreciated...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor III

To me, "Aborting due to internal error" implies a bug in the compiler version of Intel Fortran you're using.  If it had worked previously (like what you indicate had worked without problem with VS 2010 Professional), then it must have been a different version of Intel Fortran which did not have such a bug.  Hopefully someone from the Intel team can follow up with you to investigate this further,

0 Kudos
Martyn_C_Intel
Employee

That's an old compiler, that hasn't been supported for quite some time. Nevertheless, it's very surprising that changing the MSVS version should cause a compile time failure like that.

Are you able to compare the signon string above with the one that you got from the compiler used with MSVS 2010?

Are you sure that no pieces of the old compilation remain? (object files, .mod files, )

Are you able to compile other code successfully with your MSVS 2008 integration?

0 Kudos